Washington, DC Metro Accident Causes Fatalities, Serious Injuries
At least six people are confirmed to be dead and scores of others have been injured.
The Red Line trains run below ground for most of its extensive interstate span. However, it runs at ground level at the border between Washington DC and Maryland. A six-car train apparently derailed and then ran into a train between the Takoma Park and Fort Totten stations.
This accident has caused continuing widespread concern throughout the Capitol region. DC Mayor Adrian Fenty is attempting to keep residents calm but had to acknowledge that it "… looks to be the worst Metro accident in D.C. history." At least six people are confirmed to be dead and scores of others have been injured. Among the dead, the woman subway train operator.
D.C. Fire Chief Dennis Rubin indicated that 70 people were taken to local hospitals. The manager of the DC Metro, John Catoe, reported that one of the trains was waiting for permission to leave the station when it was struck by another train from behind. He told reporters, "I give my deepest condolences to the families of those who lost their lives today …This is an incredibly tragic event. We will get to the bottom and find out what happened."
Reports from the scene indicated that 250 firefighters are still at the wreckage site. The Red Line will be closed between Silver Spring, Maryland and Rhode Island Station during the busy Tuesday morning commute. Buses are being provided for the massive commuter population.
The National Transportation Safety Board is leading an investigation into the accident.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lord’s invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- Deal Hudson on Culture and the Death of God
- When the Alleluia's End: Learning Life Lessons from Job and His Fair-weather 'Friends'
- Be Blessed, Not Depressed: Dr Denton Weiss on Overcoming Depression
- Deal Hudson Visits a Welcoming Catholic Parish: Water in the Arizona Desert
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?