Washington, DC Metro Accident Causes Fatalities, Serious Injuries
At least six people are confirmed to be dead and scores of others have been injured.
The Red Line trains run below ground for most of its extensive interstate span. However, it runs at ground level at the border between Washington DC and Maryland. A six-car train apparently derailed and then ran into a train between the Takoma Park and Fort Totten stations.
This accident has caused continuing widespread concern throughout the Capitol region. DC Mayor Adrian Fenty is attempting to keep residents calm but had to acknowledge that it "… looks to be the worst Metro accident in D.C. history." At least six people are confirmed to be dead and scores of others have been injured. Among the dead, the woman subway train operator.
D.C. Fire Chief Dennis Rubin indicated that 70 people were taken to local hospitals. The manager of the DC Metro, John Catoe, reported that one of the trains was waiting for permission to leave the station when it was struck by another train from behind. He told reporters, "I give my deepest condolences to the families of those who lost their lives today …This is an incredibly tragic event. We will get to the bottom and find out what happened."
Reports from the scene indicated that 250 firefighters are still at the wreckage site. The Red Line will be closed between Silver Spring, Maryland and Rhode Island Station during the busy Tuesday morning commute. Buses are being provided for the massive commuter population.
The National Transportation Safety Board is leading an investigation into the accident.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Mary, Our Lady of Quatlasupe - She who crushes the head of the serpent, is leading the New Evangelization
- David and Goliath: Radiance Foundation and Ryan Bomberger Defend Children, Stand Up to the NAACP
- Anti-Christian Persecution: Christians Forced out of Business in Colorado and New Mexico
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- HISTORICAL TREASURE: Shipwreck hunter finds 152-year-old Civil War-era ship in Lake Huron
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?