Bobby Schuller: 3d Generation of 'Crystal Cathedral'
The Crystal Cathedral lost another Schuller in January, when grandson Bobby announced that The Gathering Community, an emergent church that was a part of the Cathedral ministry, would be re-locating.
Bobby Schuller formed 'The Gathering', a part of a movement called Emerging or Emergent Churches. Emerging churches are defined in many ways, but primarily can be described as places where the multiple expressions of Christianity come together.
The Gathering is described as “a little church within a big church.” According to their website, the purpose of the group is to be “a ministry of the Crystal Cathedral, intending to communicate to people who have been hurt by institutional religion and who seek an organic relationship with God.
“This community is made of a mosaic of people from many different walks of life, races, ages, and classes all journeying toward a better Christian life through life-long friendships, the celebration of the arts, and intentional social action- helping the poor and the disenfranchised. Many people call this grass roots movement ‘church for the rest of us.’"
The Gathering is a part of a movement called Emerging or Emergent Churches. Emerging churches are defined in many ways, but primarily can be described as places where the multiple expressions of Christianity come together.
According to Scot McKnight, in an article in Christianity Today, these churches are
1)Prophetic, declaring the need for radical change in the church.
2)Post-modern, recognizing the values present in society and utilizing them for ministry.
3)Praxis-oriented, involving practical Christian living. Their worship is a blend of contemporary and ancient worship styles.
4)Post-evangelical, emphasizing that the evangelical culture is shifting and becoming more inclusive.
5)Political, becoming involved in the political and social issues of the day.
The ministry style, direction and vision of Bobby Schuller’s father seemed to be heading in a different direction from the elder Schuller, which reportedly caused the rift. Bobby’s own ministry, again, shows a departure from the family heritage within the Reformed Christian tradition.
The fact that all three have the same last name obviously is no guarantee that there would be a consistency in the faith, doctrine, or ministry.
Bobby Schuller is a graduate of Oral Roberts University with a Master of Divinity Degree from Fuller Theological Seminary. He worked for the Channel of Hope, a Christian television network. Stationed for a time in Germany, he was host of the show Frequency X. In 2004 he was named as Pastor of Emergent Ministries for the Crystal Cathedral. He also served as a panelist on the reality show, The Messengers, for The Learning Channel.
Randy Sly was baptized into the Episcopal Church. After having wandered from the faith, he experienced a genuine conversion as an adult and became a Wesleyman Minister. His journey through the early fathers led him to his time as an Archbishop of the Charismatic Episcopal Church. He and his wife Sandy were received into the full communion of the Catholic Church three years ago.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lord’s invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Interview With Cardinal Seán Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Deal Hudson on Culture and the Death of God
- 'Ag gag' bill passes in Idaho; filming at farms now prohibited
- Man becomes first married Catholic priest in the United States with Vatican blessing
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?