Miller Beer to Sponsor Homosexual 'Folsom Street Fair'?
Reports are that Miller is once again throwing its full support behind the sexually explicit Folsom Street event in San Francisco.
The brewers landed themselves in hot water last Fall after their logo appeared on the highly controversial front page of the 2007 program guide. The cover photograph was an obvious reenactment of Leonardo da Vinci's famous "Last Supper" painting, except with 13 scantily, leather clad men and women representing Christ and the apostles seated around a table cluttered with sex toys - two of which took the place of the bread and wine.
A nationwide boycott of Miller ensued. In response Miller released a statement of apology and had their logo removed from the guide.
Yet Miller is once again throwing its full support behind the sexually explicit Folsom street event, during which passersby, including children, in San Francisco's streets are subjected to public sex acts, including men performing oral sex on one another, and engaging in mutual masturbation and sadomasochistic "role-playing", during which "partners" inflict and receive pain as a form of sexual pleasure. In one instance that was particularly offensive to people of religious faith, during last year's festival a female stripper was hoisted in a cage over a Roman Catholic Church during mass.
The 2008 program guide for the event, which features sadomasochistic pornographic material as well as Folsom's advocacy of the "Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence" and their sale of "religious" sex toys, also includes a Miller advertisement with heavy connotations to the nudity in the parade. It features a rainbow colored beer cap, a beer bottle with the label being stripped off, and a slogan that reads, "No label. All that matters is what's inside. We'll drink to that."
Peter LaBabera, president of Americans for Truth (AFTAH), has written a letter to Miller representatives questioning their decision to advocate the "vile and anti-Christian" street fair.
"Does MillerCoors have any ethical guidelines for events it will - or will not - promote (through ads) and participate in? Would MillerCoors sell beer and advertise at, say, an Incest Rights festival, or take out an ad in the publication of other openly bigoted gatherings such as a Neo-Nazi rally?" asked LaBarbera.
LaBarbera has already taken steps against the "depraved" event, having posted on the AFTAH website a letter from the Mayor of San Francisco, Gavin Newsom, that appeared in the 2008 Folsom program guide endorsing the event. This provoked Folsom attorneys to compose a letter to Americans for Truth threatening a law suit if they did not remove the mayor's written endorsement of the event from the AFTAH website.
LaBarbera responded, explaining his pro-family organization was protected under the Fair Use Doctrine and issued a statement saying, "The homosexual sadomasochists aren't exactly 'proud' of their perversions after all", and asked if Mayor Newsom and the Democrats were "embarrassed about supporting Folsom?"
He then turned to the Folsom organizers, asking, "What are you ashamed of? Certainly not mocking Christianity and public nudity and sex in the streets."The 2008 Folsom Street Fair, which marks the end of "Leather Week", is set to take place on September 28, 2008.
- - -
LifeSiteNews.com is a non-profit Internet service dedicated to issues of culture, life, and family. It was launched in September 1997. LifeSiteNews Daily News reports and information pages are used by numerous organizations and publications, educators, professionals and political, religious and life and family organization leaders and grassroots people across North America and internationally.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Nebraska Bishop: Gosnell clinic was 'reminiscent of Auschwitz'
- Why even if you lose, playing Powerball isn't such a bad bet after all
- Cheap cigarette outlets in U.S. may be funding terrorists
- Shocking report reveals 38 men, 33 women are raped each day in the military
- Father Frank Pavone: Houston Abortionist Killing Babies Born Alive
- Bill Donohue, Catholic League, Disclose Fight with the IRS, Demonstrate Courage
- Chilling note scrawled by bloodied Boston terrorist reveals motive
- Sex In Uniform: Why the Increase in Sexual Assaults in the Military?
- Dr. Glidden of Catalina Island: Monster or historian?
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?