California Supreme Court asked to delay 'Marriage' Decision
Proposition 22 Legal Defense Fund and the Alliance Defense Fund filed a request seeking the delay on Thursday afternoon.
The San Francisco Chronicle reports that organizations including the Proposition 22 Legal Defense Fund and the Alliance Defense Fund filed a request seeking the delay on Thursday afternoon.
"Permitting this decision to take effect immediately - in the light of the realistic possibility that the people of California might amend their constitution to reaffirm marriage as the union of one man and one woman - risks legal havoc and uncertainty of immeasurable magnitude," the filing states.
The request added that after the election, “the people of California will have definitively expressed their will on the issue of marriage, and that oft-debated issue will be settled once and for all in this State—settled by the proper voice in a constitutional democratic government, i.e., that of the people.”
While the proposed homosexual marriage ban has not officially been placed on the November ballot, supporters have obtained the necessary number of signatures and are waiting for the Secretary of State to verify them.
"It is to no one's benefit to redefine marriage for four or five months," said Andrew Pugno, legal counsel for the Proposition 22 Legal Defense Fund.
A spokesman for San Francisco City Attorney Dennis Herrera said the city would fight any delay in issuing marriage certificates to homosexual couples. Many county clerks believe same-sex marriages could begin as early as June 16.
- - -
Founded in continued response to Pope John Paul II’s call for a “New Evangelization,” the Catholic News Agency (CNA) has been, since 2004, one of the fastest growing Catholic news providers to the English speaking world.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Did Pocahontas save explorer John Smith here? Native American site of Werowocomoco fascinating regardless
- Poorly prepared teachers steering nation's classrooms
- Cheers Star: We Didn't Need Surveillance When We Were Kids - 'We Had God'
- IN SEARCH OF SUNKEN TREASURE: Divers plunge into Lake Michigan to search for 17th Century ship
- No-one Can Change the Truth About Fatherhood. Love Your Father. Be a Good Father
- Archbishop Chaput Cuts Through the Double Talk About Religious Liberty
- Courageous Cardinal George of Chicago Defends Marriage, Calls for Public Conversion
- Courageous Bishop Paprocki Shows Us How To Contend for the Truth About Marriage
- Lowest of the low: Man steals 92-year-old man's glasses and Bible in Manhattan
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?