Florida Bishop will dedicate Ave Maria University Church
University President Nick healy announced “We are very pleased to announce that Bishop Frank Dewane will dedicate the oratory at a special Mass and ceremony,”
Ave Maria University President Nick Healy said in an e-mail to the university community that Bishop Dewane would dedicate the 100 foot-tall, $24 million structure at a Mass on the afternoon of March 31.
“We are very pleased to announce that Bishop Frank Dewane will dedicate the oratory at a special Mass and ceremony,” Healy wrote. “Thank you for your prayers.”
It is unclear whether the building will be dedicated as a church or an oratory. Oratories are places of prayer dedicated to a particular community, while churches are the spiritual centers of parishes. Baptisms, weddings, and funerals typically occur in churches, and not oratories.
The university had invited Bishop Dewane to dedicate the structure in January, but the January ceremony had to be canceled.
Due to concerns about church law, authority, pastoral care, and financial matters, it had previously been questioned whether the dedication of the oratory would even take place.
The building is the central structure in the 5,000-acre town and university being built by the Domino’s Pizza founder Tom Monaghan and the local developer Barron Collier Cos.
Bishop Dewane’s dedication of the building will allow Mass to be celebrated there.
Founded in continued response to Pope John Paul II’s call for a “New Evangelization,” the Catholic News Agency (CNA) has been, since 2004, one of the fastest growing Catholic news providers to the English speaking world.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal Seán Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Deal Hudson on Culture and the Death of God
- 'Ag gag' bill passes in Idaho; filming at farms now prohibited
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?