“Bobby” Jindal elected Governor of the State of Louisiana
The new Governor Elect of Louisiana, Piyush "Bobby" Jindal, will soon become the youngest Governor in that States History. He will also be the only Indian-American elected to the post. Jindal is a pro-life Catholic with an extensive career of public service.
Rep. Bobby Jindal, left, his wife, Supriya, and their newborn son, Slade Ryan, sit in a hospital after Jindal helped deliver the couple’s third child.
LOS ANGELES (Catholic Online)- Piyush "Bobby" Jindal is now the Governor-elect of Louisiana. He currently serves as a member of the United States House of Representatives, having held that elective office since 2004 Governor Elect of Louisiana. Jindal defeated 11 other candidates in a hotly contested and heavily funded race.
At his victory celebration the 36 year old Governor elect told cheering crowds: “My mom and dad came to this country in pursuit of the American dream. And guess what happened. They found the American dream to be alive and well right here in Louisiana”.
Jindal is a Catholic convert from Hinduism. He was student at Oxford University on a Rhodes scholarship. While a student at Oxford he was very active in the Catholic Chaplaincy and helped to lead the University's Catholic Bible Study.
During his years as a scholar and a public servant he has openly expressed and written concerning his Catholic faith. For example, he appeared in the “New Oxford Review” and was a guest columnist on “Catholic Answers”. During the campaign, Jindal overcame blistering attacks against his pro-life positions and his candor concerning his devout Catholic faith
His record of public service is surprising given the age at which he achieved so many accomplishments. At the age of only 24 Jindal was appointed to lead the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals. At 28 he led one of the State of Louisiana’s university systems. At 30 he served the Bush Administration as an assistant secretary in the Department of Health and Human Services. Then, in 2003, at the age of 32 he ran for Governor of his State and lost by a very slight margin to Gov. Kathleen Blanco. This year, the incumbent Governor Blanco did not seek reelection.
Jindal ran on a platform that promised to expose and remove corruption in Louisiana.
After he is sworn on January 14, 2008 he will become the Nations youngest Governor and the only Indian-American Governor in that States history.
Deacon Keith Fournier, Editor in Chief and Director of News Services.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- David and Goliath: Radiance Foundation and Ryan Bomberger Defend Children, Stand Up to the NAACP
- Anti-Christian Persecution: Christians Forced out of Business in Colorado and New Mexico
- Mary, Our Lady of Quatlasupe - She who crushes the head of the serpent, is leading the New Evangelization
- HISTORICAL TREASURE: Shipwreck hunter finds 152-year-old Civil War-era ship in Lake Huron
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?