National Catholic Register: Voice of the un-Faithful? Lay group under fire for promoting dissent
especially at the national level, it was clear it was not about keeping the faith and changing the church, but trying to change the faith of the Church,” Father Landry said. “And as things have settled over the course of the last few years, that strain of Voice of the Faithful has triumphed, and many of the people who came in to try to bring greater accountability to the church have left.”
Voice of the Faithful’s trademarked slogan is “Keep the Faith, Change the Church.”
Father Landry said that Voice of the Faithful’s leaders initially sought to disguise their dissenting perspectives in order to win support from mainstream Catholics. But more recently they have been less cautious about concealing their agendas.
Said Father Landry, “I think now they realize it’s going to be hard to attract those ordinary Catholics again, and their true colors are starting to appear.”
- - -
Voices of the truly faithful
A group calling itself “Voice of the Faithful” was formed to “change the church” but its numbers are flagging.
Meanwhile, 30 U.S. Catholic men’s conferences energetically defending the church attracted thousands in 2006:
- Boston, Mass., 5,200.
- Detroit, Mich., 3,500.
- Cincinnati, Ohio, 3,200.
- Pittsburgh, Pa., 1,400.
- Worcester, Mass., 1,200.
Worldwide, the biggest gatherings in the history of humanity have been at World Youth Days with the pope:
- 1995, Manila, 5 million.
- 1997, Paris, 1.2 million.
- 2000, Rome, 2 million.
- 2002, Toronto, 800,000.
- 2005, Cologne, 1.2 million.
- - -
Tom McFeely, based in Victoria, B.C., Canada, is a contributing editor of National Catholic Register.
- - -
Copyright © 2007 Circle Media, Inc. All rights reserved. Republished with permission by Catholic Online from the Aug. 26 - Sept. 1, 2007, National Catholic Register (www.ncregister.com), a Catholic Online Preferred Publishing Partner.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Gay youths to be allowed to join Boy Scouts: Controversy rages
- Bridge that collapsed in Washington State was structurally unsound
- 12,000 homes damaged or destroyed in Moore, daunting road to recovery underway
- Eric Garcetti becomes Los Angeles' first Jewish mayor
- Violent Tsarnev friend killed by FBI after blaming Tamerlan for unsolved murders
- Homeless man whose face was eaten away in cannibal attack recovering
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?