2nd Sorrowful Mystery: The Scourging at the Pillar
"But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our
iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by
his wounds we are healed." Isaiah 53:5
WASHINGTON, D.C. (Catholic Online) - 2nd Sorrowful Mystery: The Scourging at the pillar
"Then Pilate took Jesus and had him flogged." John 19:1
The fruit of the mystery is purity, and accepting the will of God.
Flogging: They used a whip made of several strips of leather that were embedded at the ends with jagged pieces of bone and lead. No Roman limitation was placed on the number of lashings inflicted, and often the victim didn't survive the flogging. Jesus did.
"But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed." Isaiah 53:5
Every blow from that cruel whip was for my sake. Every vicious tear in His flesh, every drop of precious blood that flowed was for my healing. Every agonizing moment of pain He endured was to secure my peace. His punishment, my freedom.
My impurities are not beaten out of me; they were beaten out of Him.
God deals with me gently and patiently, always with love.
I can't even fathom the harsh treatment Jesus received in my stead. He must have cried out in pain, but He never protested. He never even tried to whisper a plea to the Father, "Stop! Please stop!"
He would do anything to rescue a lost child.
Jennifer Hartline is a grateful Catholic, a proud Army wife and homeschooling mother of four children. She is a contributing writer for Catholic Online. Visit her online at Wake Up, Deborah!
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for SEPTEMBER 2017
Parishes. That our parishes, animated by a missionary spirit, may be places where faith is communicated and charity is seen.
More Lent & Easter
'So it is written that the Christ would suffer and on the third day rise from the dead'
Easter / Lent News
While Easter is a Solemnity and an octave feast, it is also a 50 day season until Pentecost.The Season of Easter is not just about His ... continue reading
What lesson is the Lord teaching us by keeping his wounds intact? Perhaps we can better answer this question by turning to our own wounds. ... continue reading
As a teenager I ran into someone who introduced me to the finer points of the occupation. We fell into the tried and proven method of ... continue reading
Something strange is happening - there is a great silence on earth today, a great silence and stillness. The whole earth keeps silence ... continue reading
Today as we contemplate the Passion we also plumb the mystery and meaning of the Church. We are members of His Body. She was born ... continue reading
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Friday, September 22, 2017
- Daily Reading for Saturday, September 23rd, 2017 HD Video
- Pope Francis asks the intercession of Our Lady of Guadalupe following ...
- Hurricane Maria: The worst disaster for Puerto Rico HD Video
- Hurricane Maria scours Puerto Rico, will be months before electricity ...
- We have unmasked the, foul-mouthed, liberal hypocrite Lawrence ...
- St. Thomas of Villanueva: Saint of the Day for Friday, September 22, 2017
- Terrifying earthquake collapses buildings in Mexico City, hundreds dead HD
- Daily Reading for Friday, September 22nd, 2017 HD
- Officials warn, 'evacuate or die' as Maria churns towards Puerto Rico HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, September 21st, 2017 HD