Christianity in England is becoming an anachronism. Nearly half of Britons have no idea where to find story of Creation or Jesus!
Christianity in England nearing extinction, being replaced by Islam, atheism.
Goodbye Christianity, it was nice having you around, but it looks like the atheists have won. According to a report in the Daily Mail, a dwindling fraction of British children have any specific knowledge of the Bible and the Archbishop of Canterbury warns that the Church of England is now just a generation away from extinction.
The church in England is becoming more of a relic than a vibrant institution. This is what happens when you weaken a church and replace tradition with pop theology.
The surge of Bible illiteracy is reflected in the Daily Mail's statistics, which shows that 54 percent of children in England have never had Bible stories read to them by adults, and one-in-three people, including adults, could not identify where the birth story of Jesus could be found.
According to the paper: "This rose to 36 per cent for the tale of the Good Samaritan and 41 per cent for Samson and Delilah. Nearly two-thirds - 59 per cent - had no idea the stories of David and Goliath and Jonah and the Whale were from the Bible."
All this is despite the fact that most Britons agree that the Bible and Christianity teaches good values and is useful for teaching good morals and values. Even atheists agree that people should be familiar with scriptures, although for less-than-honest reasons, and generally speaking, an understanding of the Bible is essential to appreciating English and European literature as well as history and culture.
The study even claims that a stunning 46 percent of British parents who were surveyed misidentified a Harry Potter plot sequence as coming from the Bible.
Support Biblical literacy now!
As the Bible is removed from schools, is reshelved under "fiction" in libraries, and removed from hotel rooms, reverence for a book that has given us morals, values, laws, culture, and more, not to mention the obvious gift of a road-map to salvation (no less!), Bible literacy is plummeting. Children can recite passages from Harry Potter, the Hunger Games, and other popular books, but they have no knowledge of the scriptures.
It's easy to see why when the parents also lack basic knowledge.
It is a shame for many reasons, even if only taken from a literary standpoint. The Bible is filled with wondrous stories, thought-provoking parables, as well as psalms and proverbs that are famous around the world and throughout history. A person who lives by the commandments of the Bible lives well, no matter where.
To withhold such knowledge from children is to unleash them upon the world wholly unprepared for the reality of life and the life to come after this. It borders on extreme neglect from many perspectives and schools should be turned to address this most glaring gap in education.
More importantly, parents have a sacred and solemn obligation to learn the scriptures for themselves and to share this with their children. Let the warning of England be a warning to the rest of the Christian world.
As Christianity in England dies, Islam and atheism continue to flourish.
Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action'...
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Europe News
- Pope Francis: Jesus Became Poor, So that by His Poverty You Might Become Rich
- DEFIANT RUSSIA: Leadership disregarding tough talk from Obama
- Long-lost pirate's treasure could be hidden off Irish coast
- British mom gets second opinion - and finds her unborn baby ALIVE, in spite of doctors
- Calling the Ecclesial Movements: Pope Francis Encourages Focolare, all the Movements, So Do We!
- Oops! Pope Francis accidentally mutters obscenity
- One rape or sexual assault reported by members of the Armed Forces - EVERY WEEK
- Pope Francis Writes to Families Seeking Prayer for the Synod on the Family
- After scandal, overseer gives Legion of Christ clean bill of health
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?