TINY KILLERS: Frogs smaller than a dime able to kill with single bite found in Honduras
Puny poison dart frog native to the Pico Bonito National Park in Honduras, Central America
They're tiny and cute - and capable of killing with a single touch. Meeting the tiny puny poison dart frog, common in Honduras can prove to be fatal. Native to the Pico Bonito National Park in Honduras, the poison dart frog measures just two centimeters in size -- but has toxic skin so potent, it can be fatal to humans.
Secreting pumiliotoxin A, which blocks muscle contractions in the human body, the poison from the tiny frog can paralyze muscles, which can lead to a heart attack and respiratory failure.
The tiny puny poison dart frog is smaller than a dime, but one touch can kill a human.
Marine biologist and keen wildlife photographer Simon Pierce was mesmerized - but very cautious when he stumbled across them.
a beautiful reminder of our savior that you can carry with you always --
From New Zealand, the 34-year-old naturalist was trekking through the park's rainforest when he stumbled across the miniature amphibians. "I was absolutely blown away at how small these frogs were. I [had] to step very carefully around the stream," he said.
"I took advantage of a short break in the rain to go for a walk along one of the tracks in the park, and stopped to take some pictures of a waterfall.
The miniature killer frog secretes a poison from its skin which can paralyze a person's muscles, leading to heart attack and respiratory failure.
'I thought there were some ants walking about, until I took a closer look and realized the banks around the stream were swarming with these tiny and very cute little frogs.
"I had a 50p coin in my bag, so I thought I'd use that to show just how small they were.
Wildlife photographer Simon Pierce was amazed when he managed to capture the images of the killer amphibian, while touring through the park.
"I had to get the camera very close, as the frogs were so tiny. The frogs are only a few centimeters from the front of the lens.'
Pierce, who placed the 50p coin next to the frog, taking great care not to touch its skin, said: 'I was absolutely blown away at how small these frogs were... I had to get the camera very close, as the frogs were so tiny! The frogs are only a few inches from the front of the lens.
Carefully placing the coin next to the frogs, he made sure he didn't touch the amphibian's skin. "I was very lucky when one particularly obliging frog decided to hop right onto the coin - I think it provides a great sense of scale."
Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action'...
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Americas News
- Denouncing the nation of Panama as a 'lackey,' Venezuela severs diplomatic ties
- Coin found by treasure hunter confirms long disputed historical fact
- Starbucks watch out! Crops, jobs and wages in Central America tumble due to coffee bean disease
- Bolivia Changes Law on Abortion: More Children at Risk
- Tunnel network couldn't save 'el Chapo' from being brought to justice
- Venezuelan president seeks high-level talks with Obama
- World's most wanted drug lord 'El Chapo' finally arrested
- Our Lady of Guadalupe: The Woman Who Casts a Shadow
- Worth more than money: Vatican blocks 'deconsecration' of historic Catholic church
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?