Two men arrested in theft of relic of Blessed John Paul II
Piece of fabric stained with the late Pope's blood remains missing
Italian police have arrested two men in connection with the theft of a relic of Blessed John Paul II. The item had disappeared from a country chapel east of Rome. The venerated piece of fabric stained with the late Pope's blood, which was reported missing at the time of the theft has not yet been located.
The discarded the relic itself, reportedly a piece of the clothing Blessed John Paul was wearing when he was shot May 13, 1981, was thrown into some bushes near the facility, the suspects said. Members of Italy's specialized scientific police were searching the grounds.
The people of the Philippines still need our help --
The relic and the cross were first reported missing from the church of San Pietro della Ienca last weekend. The church, where Blessed John Paul often prayed, is located 13 miles north of L'Aquila, in the mountainous Abruzzo region where the late pope frequently went on brief vacations.
In the theft, the suspects left the collection box untouched. The burglary had left the nearby cultural association highly distraught. "We are very displeased by the theft. We have no idea of who could have done it. The police are carrying out a search," Franca Corrieri, a member of the association told reporters.
The relic was donated by Polish Cardinal Stanislaw Dziwisz of Krakow, who had served as secretary to the Blessed John Paul II to the chapel in recognition of the late pope's many visits.
Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action'...
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Europe News
- Pope Francis: Jesus Became Poor, So that by His Poverty You Might Become Rich
- DEFIANT RUSSIA: Leadership disregarding tough talk from Obama
- Long-lost pirate's treasure could be hidden off Irish coast
- British mom gets second opinion - and finds her unborn baby ALIVE, in spite of doctors
- Calling the Ecclesial Movements: Pope Francis Encourages Focolare, all the Movements, So Do We!
- Oops! Pope Francis accidentally mutters obscenity
- One rape or sexual assault reported by members of the Armed Forces - EVERY WEEK
- Pope Francis Writes to Families Seeking Prayer for the Synod on the Family
- After scandal, overseer gives Legion of Christ clean bill of health
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?