Thousands flee erupting volcano in El Salvador
Powerful explosion heard near the Chaparrastique volcano
Thousands of Salvadorans in the coffee-producing region of Chaparrastique have fled theor homes with news of an erupting nearby volcano. The volcano, the El Salvador Chaparrastique is one of more than 20 volcanoes in El Salvador.
The Salvadoran government says it had been monitoring the situation since the 13th of this month, when they detected increased activity inside the volcano.
Five thousand people live in the San Miguel province, according to civil protection authorities. The eruption occurred on Sunday afternoon.
The Salvadoran government says it had been monitoring the situation since the 13th of this month, when they detected increased activity inside the volcano. Some 300 communities live around the volcano.
At 7,000 feet above sea level, the Chaparrastique is the third highest volcano in the country. It spewed lava in 1976 and caused a strong tremor in the area in 2010.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Americas News
- Denouncing the nation of Panama as a 'lackey,' Venezuela severs diplomatic ties
- Coin found by treasure hunter confirms long disputed historical fact
- Starbucks watch out! Crops, jobs and wages in Central America tumble due to coffee bean disease
- Bolivia Changes Law on Abortion: More Children at Risk
- Tunnel network couldn't save 'el Chapo' from being brought to justice
- Venezuelan president seeks high-level talks with Obama
- World's most wanted drug lord 'El Chapo' finally arrested
- Our Lady of Guadalupe: The Woman Who Casts a Shadow
- Worth more than money: Vatican blocks 'deconsecration' of historic Catholic church
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?