7.1 quake in Japan, near Fukushima, tsunami warning issued
A major quake has struck Japan.
A major 7.6 quake is being reported in Japan off the coast of the Fukushima prefecture.
A tsunami warning has been issued.
[UPDATED 11:17 a.m. PDT]
The quake appears to have been downgraded from a preliminary magnitude of 7.6 to 7.3. The Fukushima Daichii power plant has been evacuated, but local sources say there appears to be no significant damage.
A local tsunami warning has been issued for Honshu, but not for the rest of the islands or the Pacific.
It appears that the quake, although powerful, may have done minimal damage.
Tsunami warning is just for 3 feet of height and any tsunami is not expected to cause significant disruption.
[UPDATED 11:47 a.m. PDT]
There does not appear to be any major damage or casualties associated with this quake. Catholic Online will publish new stories on this event as developments are reported. This concludes our breaking news coverage for this event.
A birth foretold: click here to learn more!
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lord’s invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Asia Pacific News
- Top Malaysia court delays ruling on use of 'Allah'
- Filipino Cardinal blasts Catholics for hypocrisy
- Chinese train massacre carried out by Islamist gang on 'Holy War' spree
- Pakistan feeling wages of sin; Drug addiction, AIDS rife is South Asian nation
- Indian economy slows in most recent quarter
- While Cambodia's poverty rate drops, many still struggle to survive
- Slavery scandal involving teenage girls shocks Indian Tea Company
- Australian airlines Qantas to cut 5,000 jobs
- Philippine cardinal stresses that church must address poverty
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?