Jilted boyfriend forces ex to DRINK acid
Governments are finally cracking down on this brutal form of attack.
A teenage Indian girl was admitted to a hospital after her former boyfriend forced her to drink acid. The crime occurred in the coastal city of Mumbai. After the acid attack, he attempted to push her into the sea.
The angry young man had been parted from her for a few months previously before he persuaded her to meet him on the beach in the coastal city of Mumbai on Saturday. The assignation turned to violence when he allegedly forced her to drink acid, pouring some of it down her throat. He then attempted to push her into the sea.
The girl screamed and another person who was nearby came to her immediate rescue, apprehending the young man who was promptly handed over to police.
The girl suffered severe acid burns to her face, lips and tongue.
There are perhaps thousands of acid attacks each year in Southeast Asia with the London-based charity, Acid Survivors Trust International saying the majority of victims are women and children. There are at least 1,500 reported attacks each year and perhaps thousands more that go unreported out of shame.
Acid, which is used in processing cotton and rubber, is readily available in many parts of the world. Other acids can be used. Acid attacks have occurred on every continent. They are typically the result of jealously as former love interests attempt to scar their victims for life as a means of destroying them financially and socially.
About 90 percent of the victims are female. In countries without comprehensive healthcare or social services, many victims are unable to marry and unable to work. They are sentenced to a life of extreme poverty in addition to their handicap and disfigurement. For many victims who cannot come to terms with the damage, it is close to a living form of death. Social rejection of victims is common.
To combat the epidemic, many countries have passed acid-specific laws and punish the crimes aggressively. However, as long as a culture of patriarchy and shame exists, and powerful acids such as nitric or sulphuric acids remain easily obtainable, the attacks are likely to continue.
A birth foretold: click here to learn more!
© 2013, Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Asia Pacific News
- Some Filipino Catholics called to task for their failure to fight corruption
- TRUE ENEMY: North Korea methamphetamine trade fueled by U.S. demand
- Oh my! It's raining dead mice on Guam!
- Breastfeeding for infant survivors of Typhoon Haiyan urged
- Cradle baby scheme in India cuts female infanticide
- In spite of U.S. military occupation, opium production at all-time high in Afghanistan
- China launches first moon mission with unmanned lunar probe
- IS THIS PROGRESS? Adulterers may now be stoned in Afghanistan
- Earliest ever 'Buddhist shrine' uncovered by archaeologists
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?