Room enough for almost all! African land mass could contain most of Europe - and then some
Graphic is not true depiction of land mass, but gives intriguing idea
It's a fun graphic that shows the enormous land mass of the African continent. While its creator Kai Krause says the graphic doesn't truly depict the continent's land mass, it shows that Africa is as big as India, China, the United States and most of Europe - put together.
As you can see at the graph's bottom right, the United Kingdom could neatly fit into the island of Madagascar.
The United Kingdom is also featured on the graphic, covering the island of Madagascar. Overall, Africa is more than 30 million square kilometers.
This graphic illustrates that its size is not shown accurately on a standard Mercator map, where countries in the center appear smaller than they are. Designer IO9, the creator of the graphic notes that accuracy is compromised for neatness and "straight lines."
This graphic shows Africa is bigger than the land masses of the U.S., China, India, Mexico, Peru, France, Spain, Papua New Guinea, Sweden, Japan, Germany, Norway, Italy, New Zealand, the UK, Nepal, Bangladesh and Greece put together.
Th graph also lists the top 100 countries in the world in terms of biggest land size. Russia, Canada, China, the U.S. and Brazil make up the top five.
The clever illustration also shows how easily the whole of Europe would fit into Africa, as well as some of the biggest nations in the world individually.
Creator Kai Krause overlaid Portugal, Belgium, the Netherlands, Switzerland, the UK, Japan, China, India, Eastern Europe, Italy, Germany, France, Spain and the U.S. on to the continent.
Discover the true meaning of Christmas!
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lord’s invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Africa News
- Muslims flee Central African Republic - only 1,000 remain out of 100,000 in capital
- Four Nigerian men accused of homosexuality
- WHAT? Egyptian army claims both a cure for AIDS, hepatitis C
- Coptic Orthodox Church condemns killing of Egyptians in Libya
- West African nation of Mauritania should take broader steps to stop slavery
- Bill outlawing Homosexual behavior becomes law in Uganda, carries death penalty for acts of 'aggravated homosexuality'
- Nearly 100 people killed in Islamist attack in Northeast Nigerian village
- AFRICA'S SHAME: HIV positive teens, children dying due to failure to test them
- South Sudanese rebels claim seizure of Malakal
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?