Room enough for almost all! African land mass could contain most of Europe - and then some
Graphic is not true depiction of land mass, but gives intriguing idea
It's a fun graphic that shows the enormous land mass of the African continent. While its creator Kai Krause says the graphic doesn't truly depict the continent's land mass, it shows that Africa is as big as India, China, the United States and most of Europe - put together.
As you can see at the graph's bottom right, the United Kingdom could neatly fit into the island of Madagascar.
The United Kingdom is also featured on the graphic, covering the island of Madagascar. Overall, Africa is more than 30 million square kilometers.
This graphic illustrates that its size is not shown accurately on a standard Mercator map, where countries in the center appear smaller than they are. Designer IO9, the creator of the graphic notes that accuracy is compromised for neatness and "straight lines."
This graphic shows Africa is bigger than the land masses of the U.S., China, India, Mexico, Peru, France, Spain, Papua New Guinea, Sweden, Japan, Germany, Norway, Italy, New Zealand, the UK, Nepal, Bangladesh and Greece put together.
Th graph also lists the top 100 countries in the world in terms of biggest land size. Russia, Canada, China, the U.S. and Brazil make up the top five.
The clever illustration also shows how easily the whole of Europe would fit into Africa, as well as some of the biggest nations in the world individually.
Creator Kai Krause overlaid Portugal, Belgium, the Netherlands, Switzerland, the UK, Japan, China, India, Eastern Europe, Italy, Germany, France, Spain and the U.S. on to the continent.
Discover the true meaning of Christmas!
© 2013, Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Africa News
- Almost 1,000 people killed in two days of fighting in Central Africa Republic
- Bishop Emmanuel Ade Badejo: Christmas,Population Control,Contraception and Life
- Ordered restored; South Sudan violence leaves 500 dead
- Barbaric practice of 'breast ironing' still practiced in Cameroon
- Abortions in Nigeria are killing women and children, robbing nation of its future
- Central African Republic mired in violence amid threat of genocide
- In spite of good harvests and rainfall, millions still face starvation in Africa's Sahel region
- Libya takes a hit: $7 billion lost oil strikes
- In spite of new global awareness - child soldiers on the rise in Central African Republic
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?