Al-Qaeda plot to seize oil facilities in Yemen thwarted
Extra troops around the targeted facilities, banning all entry halted plot
A plot by alleged al-Qaeda operatives to take over an oil export terminal and gas export facility in Yemen has been thwarted by Yemeni security forces. A government official has declared that extra security forces around the targeted facilities, along with the banning of all entry stopped the attempt.
Extra security forces around the targeted facilities, along with the banning of all entry stopped the attempt.
"The plot aimed to seize the al-Dabbah oil export terminal in Hadramout [province] and the Belhaf gas export facility, as well as the city of Mukalla," Badi told journalists, referring to the Hadramout provincial capital.
It's not yet known if the alleged plot was linked to threats which prompted the United States to close diplomatic missions across the region and withdraw many of its personnel from Yemen.
In a related development, a U.S. drone strike killed at least six people in southern Yemen. It was the fifth such attack in less than two weeks. Vehicles in a remote area about 70 kilometers north of the provincial capital, Ataq. Both vehicles were destroyed. Residents who rushed to the scene found only charred bodies, they said.
The editor of the Yemen Post, Hakim al-Masmari told Al Jazeera that local sources indicated at least one of the people killed in the U.S. drone strike on Wednesday was "an al-Qaeda member."
At least 20 people have been killed in drone strikes since July 28, when a strike killed at least four members of Ansar al-Sharia, a local armed group affiliated with al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, one of the most active branches of the network founded by Osama bin Laden.
Intercepted communication by U.S. officials indicate that in between bin Laden's successor as al-Qaeda leader, Ayman al-Zawahri, and the Yemen-based wing was one part of the intelligence behind the alert last week that prompted the closure of the embassies.
The international situation is Yemen has flared over the past several weeks. In addition to the United States, the United Kingdom, France and Germany have also closed their missions, and other European countries have taken extra precautions. Belgium, Italy and The Netherlands have since advised their citizens to leave.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Middle East News
- 'Family honor' slayings on the rise in some communities in Palestine
- More than 100,000 Ethiopians expelled from Saudi Arabia
- Free the Nuns of St. Thekla! Pope, Orthodox Leaders Urge Prayer for Kidnapped Nuns in Syria
- 'Tolerant' Muslims threaten holy war if Jews try to pray at site of ancient temple
- Embajador palestino en España se ofrece a cambio de liberación de doce religiosas en Siria
- HIV cases skyrocketing in Iran
- THIS OLD HOUSE: Amazing 10,000-year-old house uncovered in Israel
- Young girls and boys tortured and executed in Syrian civil war
- A VERY OLD TOAST! 3,700-year-old wine cellar found
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?