Pope Francis, more beloved than any rockstar
Pope Francis gives his security detail a headache, the rest of us refreshment.
Pope Francis was given an unexpected opportunity to connect with the people of Brazil after his car took a wrong turn and landed him in the thick of a Rio crowd.
Some parts of the route weren't lined with fencing and at one point, his driver turned onto the wrong side of a street. These factors led to the Pope's car being mobbed, repeatedly, by well wishers. Pope Francis appeared delighted with the enthusiasm of the crowd, although security officials were beside themselves.
Well wishers managed to reach into the Pope's car, where he touched hands with them. At one point, a woman offered her baby to the Pontiff, who kissed the child.
It was too much for the thirty to forty plainclothes security officials to handle. Yet, at no point was the Pope in any danger. Although his secretary reported being afraid, Francis was said to be delighted.
Eventually, the car arrived at its destination where Pope Francis transferred to his open-air jeep.
Pope Francis insisted on an open-air jeep to be closer to the people.
As the Pope passed by, waving at well wishers, people on the street cried tears of joy and shouted with enthusiasm.
Pope Francis may not be in immediate danger, the Brazil remains troubled. Anti-government protests were reported on the day of his arrival. The day before, police say they discovered a homemade bomb in a public restroom near a major Marian shrine where the Pope is scheduled to say Mass on Wednesday.
Authorities say the device was small and crude, and that the Pope did not appear to be the target of the bomb. There is no danger expected towards the Pope.
Pope Francis is unlikely to change his habits of plunging into crowds and being close to the people. Fortunately, every interaction he has had has produced only blessings for the people who love him. It is clear that the Holy Spirit is with Pope Francis, guiding and protecting him as he shepherds us, is flock, to greater glory with God.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Americas News
- The evil pit of despair that awaits illegal immigrants deported to Tijuana
- ¡Dios no es una amenaza para el ser humano!, clama el Papa Francisco
- Fracking protesters in Canada set up burning tire blockade, dance around flames
- Brazilian teen girls becoming prostitutes before World Cup in bid to escape poverty
- Organizan en Argentina bicicletada por la libertad religiosa
- Madre de Gustavo Cerati: Dios es quien decide sobre la vida y la muerte de mi hijo
- Mexican drug cartels now illegally mining iron ore for shipment to China
- #VideoViral: ¿Por qué traer un niño a este mundo?, publicidad de multinacional sorprende a pro-vidas
- Mons. Arancedo pide reforzar matrimonio y derechos del niño en nuevo Código Civil
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?