Two Pakistani teenage girls killed in cold blood - for dancing
Phone video of sisters dancing in rain outraged step- brother, who killed them over 'family honor'
Honor killings, crimes against women and girls are usually brought on by outraged relatives who say their families have been dishonored by - or implied by infidelity and fornication, are common in rural areas in the Muslim world. Two teenage sisters in Pakistan have now been killed by their step-brother - for daring to smile and dance in the rain.
In the phone video that cost them their lives, sisters Noor Basra and Noor Sheza dance and smile in the rain.
When the footage was circulated via mobile phones, it caused outrage in the conservative Pakistani town - and the girls were later shot alongside their mother in their home by five gunmen.
Police are investigating whether the attack was arranged by the girls' step-brother, Khutore, who allegedly wanted to "restore the family's honor." The sisters' other brother has filed a case against Khutore and the four other alleged accomplices.
Four women are believed to have been killed last year by tribal elders for dancing and singing with men at a wedding party in the remote north-western village of Kohistan in Pakistan.
A tribal council of clerics, known as a "Jirga" reportedly condemned the women to death for "fornication" and staining their families' names.
The community frowns on men and women dancing together or fraternizing at all.
The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan reports that at least 943 women and girls were murdered in 2011 for allegedly defaming their family's honor.
The Aurat Foundation, a women's rights group, about 1,000 "honor" killings take place in Pakistan every year, highlighting the scale of violence suffered by many women in conservative Muslim Pakistan, where they are frequently treated as second-class citizens.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Asia Pacific News
- Oh my! It's raining dead mice on Guam!
- Breastfeeding for infant survivors of Typhoon Haiyan urged
- Cradle baby scheme in India cuts female infanticide
- In spite of U.S. military occupation, opium production at all-time high in Afghanistan
- China launches first moon mission with unmanned lunar probe
- IS THIS PROGRESS? Adulterers may now be stoned in Afghanistan
- Earliest ever 'Buddhist shrine' uncovered by archaeologists
- For the world to see: Afghan mother shows acid attack burns
- 'Cookii monster' Lethal pink jellyfish rediscovered 100 YEARS after off Australian coast
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?