Al Qaeda now possesses deadly surface to air missiles
Evidence uncovered in Mali reveals missiles have fallen into Al Qaeda hands.
Counter-terrorism experts now believe that Al Qaeda is in possession of deadly surface-to-air missiles which could be used to down a passenger airliner. This shocking revelation came after an Al Qaeda user's manual for the SA-7 surface-to-air missile was found among Al Qaeda documents in Timbuktu.
The Grail is a heat-seeking missile meaning that it will home in on the exhaust of a jet engine. This makes civilian airliners particularly vulnerable, because they have no countermeasures to defeat such a weapon. A well-placed terrorist outside a busy airport could shoot down passenger plane with hundreds of souls aboard, using just one missile.
If there is any consolation, the weapons are not easy to use and require special training, hence the instruction manual.
The instruction manual was found by the Associated Press reporters who sifted through documents left in an abandoned Al Qaeda compound. the compound was abandoned as the terrorists fled French forces closing in on Timbuktu.
The manual is 26 pages long and has been translated into Arabic, strong evidence to suggest that the terrorists have these weapons in their possession. The missiles were originally manufactured by the Soviet Union.
The manual tells the user precisely how to prepare and use the weapon, and instructs him to immediately changed his clothing to avoid detection after firing the weapon. The manual has been edited by the terrorists to conform to their tactics.
For now, there is no reason to believe that weapons have been smuggled abroad and they likely remain in North Africa where terrorists could be preparing to use them against French supply aircraft ferrying personnel and material into Mali.
Aircraft have already been instructed to make steep takeoffs and landings to minimize their potential exposure to the weapon. The weapon has a short effective range so that it cannot strike high-flying aircraft.
Military aircraft have countermeasures which can defeat the missile, and according to the manual the missile does not work well when the outside temperature is above 110įF.
It is unknown how many such missiles to terrorists may possess.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Africa News
- Muslims flee Central African Republic - only 1,000 remain out of 100,000 in capital
- Four Nigerian men accused of homosexuality
- WHAT? Egyptian army claims both a cure for AIDS, hepatitis C
- Coptic Orthodox Church condemns killing of Egyptians in Libya
- West African nation of Mauritania should take broader steps to stop slavery
- Bill outlawing Homosexual behavior becomes law in Uganda, carries death penalty for acts of 'aggravated homosexuality'
- Nearly 100 people killed in Islamist attack in Northeast Nigerian village
- AFRICA'S SHAME: HIV positive teens, children dying due to failure to test them
- South Sudanese rebels claim seizure of Malakal
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?