DoD admits Chinese hackers breaching U.S. security for top weapon designs
Report says U.S. unprepared for cyber-war.
Chinese hackers have breached American security and accessed information on some of the nation's most advanced weapons projects. According to the Defense Department, Chinese hackers have stolen large amounts of data related to several top-level defense programs.
The Aegis and F-35 projects likely contain the most sophisticated data, as those programs are newer than the others.
The report does not say the Chinese stole any of the designs, but that they did breech security that was intended to protect the designs. China has a long history of copying existing systems for their own use, however the Chinese have more recently begun innovating their own designs, particularly for defense systems.
The report comes just as Australia announced Chinese hackers stole the blueprints for that nation's new spy headquarters.
The report is being issued a month in advance of Obama's anticipated meeting with Chinese President, Xi Jinping who will be traveling to California. California is a center for research and development and a place where several of these weapons systems are designed, tested, and manufactured.
The initial findings of the report were released in January, but only now have the specific programs impacted by the hackers become available. The public version of the report also says the Pentagon is unprepared to handle a full-scale cyber-war.
For its part, the Chinese government insists it does not engage in, nor condone cyber attacks on other countries. Additionally, the state-run media also claims its industries are often the targets of U.S.-led cyberattacks.
More likely, both the United States and China are guilty as China emerges as a leading world superpower. China stands to eclipse even the former Soviet Union for both world scope and power in the century to come.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Asia Pacific News
- Some Filipino Catholics called to task for their failure to fight corruption
- TRUE ENEMY: North Korea methamphetamine trade fueled by U.S. demand
- Oh my! It's raining dead mice on Guam!
- Breastfeeding for infant survivors of Typhoon Haiyan urged
- Cradle baby scheme in India cuts female infanticide
- In spite of U.S. military occupation, opium production at all-time high in Afghanistan
- China launches first moon mission with unmanned lunar probe
- IS THIS PROGRESS? Adulterers may now be stoned in Afghanistan
- Earliest ever 'Buddhist shrine' uncovered by archaeologists
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?