Discovered tied to Freemasonry, French priest stripped of functions
French priest refuses to leave Freemasonry, and is summarily defrocked
For being a member of a Masonic lodge, a Catholic priest at the posh French ski station of Megeve has been stripped of his functions at the request of the Vatican. Father Pascal Vesin of the Sainte-Anne d'Arly-Montjoie parish was ordered by the bishop of Annecy, Yves Boivineau, to halt his functions due to his "active membership" of the Grand Orient de France, a large Masonic organization.
The Holy See's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in March asked for priest's departure. Three members of the diocese of Annecy then met him. Vesin again repeatedly refused to quit his membership of the Lodge.
Freemasonry of all types, regular or irregular, legitimate or "diverted" has been condemned by many popes. Freemasonry is a fraternal organization from the loose grouping of medieval masons or stone workers, in the building industry.
Critics have likened it to a secret society as certain aspects are kept private.
The Catholic Church argues that the philosophy of French Freemasonry (the Grand Orient, not the dominant variety of Freemasonry or the branch that is active in the English-speaking world) is antithetical to Christian doctrine and that it is at many times and places anti-clerical in intent. The 1913 Catholic Encyclopedia argued that some of the ceremonial in the Scottish Rite is anti-Catholic. However this claim does not appear in subsequent editions.
The Masonic use of Biblical imagery was seen in the 1913 Catholic Encyclopedia as being done in such a way as to deny the revelation of Christianity. However this complaint was not included in subsequent editions.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Europe News
- Pope Francis: Jesus Became Poor, So that by His Poverty You Might Become Rich
- DEFIANT RUSSIA: Leadership disregarding tough talk from Obama
- Long-lost pirate's treasure could be hidden off Irish coast
- British mom gets second opinion - and finds her unborn baby ALIVE, in spite of doctors
- Calling the Ecclesial Movements: Pope Francis Encourages Focolare, all the Movements, So Do We!
- Oops! Pope Francis accidentally mutters obscenity
- One rape or sexual assault reported by members of the Armed Forces - EVERY WEEK
- Pope Francis Writes to Families Seeking Prayer for the Synod on the Family
- After scandal, overseer gives Legion of Christ clean bill of health
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?