AU CONTRAIRE! Economic crisis has been 'pulling European public opinion apart'
France in particular is tiring of dashed promises of the European Union
Strong-headed and opinionated, the French have their likes and dislikes: They dislike Americans, but like our music and films; they like, smoking and garlic; and they supposedly love the European Union. However -a recent poll by the Pew Research Center finds that their love affair with the EU may be fading.
The French are unhappy with the EU job market, lack of leadership, institutions and especially the economy.
Often portrayed as Europe's leading tandem, the French and Germans are not as solidified as they used to be. The prolonged economic crisis has been "pulling European public opinion apart, separating the French from the Germans and the Germans from everyone else," the report says, calling the European Union "The New Sick Man of Europe."
The French are unhappy with the EU job market, lack of leadership, institutions and especially the economy. Seventy-seven percent of French people believe that European economic integration has made things worse for France, in an increase of 14 points from last year.
"Most of [the report] seems blindingly obvious," Tim Judah, writing for Bloomberg news says.
"When the economy is in bad shape, people are in a bad mood-and in this case after five years of bad economic news, Europeans are in a terrible mood," he said.
The French do have a thing for the euro, with 63 percent of French people wanting to keep the common currency, so it appears that the French aren't quite ready to say "au revoir" to Europe just yet.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Europe News
- Participating in the Resurrection Now: Pope Francis On Our Resurrection From the Dead
- El Papa: Si las palabras cristianas son palabras sin Cristo se recorre
- Christians of East and West Must Give Common Witness: Pope Francis Writes Patriarch Bartholomew
- Turkish churches get radical makeover - by being turned in to mosques
- Francis Xavier, Pope Francis and the Missionary Transformation of the Catholic Church
- Domestic abuse thrust into open in Greece
- Papa Francisco expresa su oración y solidaridad por víctimas de tragedia en Escocia
- Best-selling author links Jack the Ripper to Royal Family
- Con referéndum Croacia protege matrimonio entre hombre y mujer
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?