Five killed in sharp, violent volcanic eruption in the Philippines
Eruption hurled boulders as large as houses.
Volcanoes are deadly masterpieces of nature, as four German tourists and their tour guide tragically learned Tuesday. The group was killed as they hiked up the side of Mayon volcano. Five other hikers were injured.
Seismologists say the volcano sent a plume of steam and ash over 1,600 feet into the air.
Mayon volcano is one of the most active volcanoes in the Philippines, however authorities permit climbing there when there appears to be no danger of imminent eruption. This time, they were wrong.
Sensing no signs of eruption, authorities allowed hikers into the normally permanent 3.7 mile "danger zone" for climbing. Hikers enjoy the slopes of the nearly perfect cone and wait for opportunities to climb the volcano.
However, the conical shape of the volcano is itself a warning. Cone-shaped volcanoes tend to be violent when they erupt and Mayon is a textbook example.
Seismologists say they do not believe a major eruption is imminent, that the venting was a routine event, but they advise against hiking the volcano's slopes. The most recent event only lasted about a minute, but was sufficient to create deadly havoc.
The last time Mayon erupted was in 2009. That event prompted the mass evacuation of tens of thousands of people.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Asia Pacific News
- Some Filipino Catholics called to task for their failure to fight corruption
- TRUE ENEMY: North Korea methamphetamine trade fueled by U.S. demand
- Oh my! It's raining dead mice on Guam!
- Breastfeeding for infant survivors of Typhoon Haiyan urged
- Cradle baby scheme in India cuts female infanticide
- In spite of U.S. military occupation, opium production at all-time high in Afghanistan
- China launches first moon mission with unmanned lunar probe
- IS THIS PROGRESS? Adulterers may now be stoned in Afghanistan
- Earliest ever 'Buddhist shrine' uncovered by archaeologists
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?