Escalation? Israel shoots down Hezbollah drone, likely supplied by Iran
Drone an effort to remind Israel that it's a target.
The drone which penetrated Israeli airspace on Thursday was part of a publicity stunt staged by Hezbollah to remind its people that the extremist Shiite organization remains dedicated to destroying Israel.
In October, a drone managed to fly deep into Israeli airspace before it was intercepted.
Thursday's drone was shot down over the sea, so the navy is leading the search for wreckage.
Iran is a strong supporter of Hezbollah and it is believed the drones feature Iranian design. Iran already has drones in its arsenal, although their capability is subject to question.
The drone sent by Hezbollah is also of unknown capability. Can it transmit video in real time? Can it be modified to carry weapons? If it can be weaponized, it would represent a serious escalation in the region.
The drone penetrated the airspace near Haifa which is a critical port city and the location of several strategic facilities including a petrochemical plant which has been previously threatened.
Fortunately, the IDF is on alert and yesterday's downing of the drone shows they can effectively prevent potentially dangerous incursions.
It is widely speculated that Hezbollah sent the drone as a publicity stunt in an effort to demonstrate to their own people that they still have an emphasis on destroying Israel. Recently, Hezbollah has been sending fighters and resources to support the regime of Bashir al Assad in Syria. Many Lebanese are upset at this involvement.
The drone then, is a distraction away from Syria. It is also an egregious threat to Israel, one the state must take very seriously.
Meanwhile, in Iran, the centrifuges spin.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Middle East News
- WARNING GRAPHIC: Supposed 'US spy' is crucified in Yemen
- Amazing Stone Age masks go on display in Jerusalem
- 3,300 year old Selfie? Silver earrings from Biblical era discovered in northern Israel
- Syria to replace Afghanistan as nation with highest refugee population
- New film draws attention to plight of Christians in the Middle East
- Latest death toll in Syrian civil war: More than 140,000
- Barrel bombs used in Aleppo send Syrians fleeing for their lives
- Only Catholic Church appears able to aid starving population of Homs, Syria
- Demolition of Palestinian homes spikes on eve peace negotiations
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?