Thousands displaced by Tamanthi Dam in northern Myanmar
Dam also spurring friction between rival nations China and India
Construction on the Indian-financed Tamanthi Dam in northern Myanmar hasn't even begun, and yet more than 2,000 people have been displaced from their homes. The dam has also spurred friction between rival nations China and India. Human rights and environmentalists say that the dam is proving to be a disaster, the result of human ambition trampling over common, human concerns.
Those forced to relocate were given neither compensation nor new homes, and now with their farms gone, they have no choice but to take work as day laborers, cultivating and selling someone else's fruit and vegetables . if they can even find work.
Financed by India's National Hydroelectric Power Corporation, The Tamanthi Dam will be 80 meters high and flood 1,396 square kilometers, which is an area larger than Hong Kong. Local human rights groups say this will affect 6,880 hectares of fertile farmland, displacing a further 45,000 people.
One former person who lived near the Chindwin River say that the relocating people are facing many hardships, he says. Prospects for farming around their new homes are poor, unlike the opportunities provided by the fertile soil near the river, where the "fishing is good."
He says that "the government doesn't care." Those forced to relocate were given neither compensation nor new homes, and now with their farms gone, they have no choice but to take work as day laborers, cultivating and selling someone else's fruit and vegetables . if they can even find work.
"At present they can't say when the villagers will need to move and they can't say if it will not happen," he says. "They are very sad - they don't want to lose their homes."
Out of fear of retaliation by the military, he did not want to name the hamlet. Residents had been warned by soldiers stationed nearby not to speak out against the project under threat of fines and long jail sentences.
The Tamanthi Dam in the meantime is suffering the latest setback in a series of delays that have plagued it since the memorandum of understanding was signed back in 2004.
A detailed project report last year found the construction financially unfeasible without additional government backing from either the Indian or Myanmar government.
According to the deal, 80 percent of the 6,685 gigawatt hours generated annually would be allotted to India, with the remaining 20 percent to be used at the discretion of the Myanmar government.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Asia Pacific News
- Australia Overturns Same-Sex Marriage, Reaffirms the Truth About Marriage
- Indian Supreme Court upholds morals, reinstates anti-deviance law
- Pope Francis to beatify Myanmar martyr Isidore Ngei Ko Lat
- Australia prohibe 'matrimonio' gay
- Some Filipino Catholics called to task for their failure to fight corruption
- TRUE ENEMY: North Korea methamphetamine trade fueled by U.S. demand
- Oh my! It's raining dead mice on Guam!
- Breastfeeding for infant survivors of Typhoon Haiyan urged
- Cradle baby scheme in India cuts female infanticide
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?