Alarming rise in Islamic intolerance seen in France
'Islamophobia' is seen as result of waves of immigrants entering country
French Muslims have suffered increasing incidents of violence and mistreatment in their adopted homeland. Called, "Islamophobia," the French people have grown ever more intolerant of immigrants to their nation. Incendiary statements by politicians over the last two years have led to an anti-racism observatory.
The rise in anti-Muslim sentiment in France could be partly explained by 'the tense socio-political atmosphere in France being driven by a resurgence of the far right,' the Observatory's President Abdallah Zekri told journalists.
"In 2011 the number [of anti-Muslim attacks] was up 34 percent on the previous year ...," the report reads. "But what is happening in 2012 is alarming. Between January and the end of October there were 175 reported Islamophobic acts, a 42 percent increase compared with the same period in 2011."
Among the many incidents detailed in the report, the occupation of a building site of a new mosque in Poitiers, near Paris, by 74 members of the extreme-right splinter group "Generation Identity," chanted hostile "warlike" slogans against Islam and Muslims.
The rise in anti-Muslim sentiment in France could be partly explained by "the tense socio-political atmosphere in France being driven by a resurgence of the far right," the Observatory's President Abdallah Zekri told journalists.
This resurgence was highly evident in the 2012 presidential election, when Marine Le Pen, leader of the anti-immigration and anti-Europe National Front (FN), won 17.9 percent of the vote in the first round, a record for the party.
"This tension has also contributed to a radicalization of the political rhetoric of some mainstream politicians who exploit racial tensions for populist political gains," Zekri said.
The debate on "national identity that was launched by former president Nicolas Sarkozy and the law (pushed through under Sarkozy's government) banning the wearing of face-covering Islamic veils."
Fueling the tensions have been the killings of seven people, including a young rabbi and three Jewish children in and around Toulouse in March by an al-Qaeda-linked French gunman, "had been seized upon by political figures to target the Muslim community, the vast majority of which condemned these murders."
Zekri explains that the figures in the Observatory's report only include "actions or threats against French Muslims that are directly linked to the fact that they are Muslims and when those people or their property are physically threatened."
"The figures do not include acts of discrimination against Muslims or Islam generally, such as the rhetoric and declarations of certain politicians and their parties who openly stigmatize the Muslim faith, or in protests by 'Identity' groups chanting slogans that are openly hostile to Islam," the report adds.
"All forms of racial and religious intolerance are contrary to the values of the French Republic and should be dealt with accordingly," Zekri said in conclusion.
ę 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Islamophobia, France, persecution, violence, Observatory
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Europe News
- Pope Francis: Open the Door to Faith and Do Not Try to Control
- Evil Face of Jihad in London Suburb: Muslim Attackers Hack a Young Soldier to Death and Behead Him
- 'World's oldest profession' suffers downturn in U.K.; food, mortgage more important than sex
- Businesses, not employees to foot 75 percent tax increase in France
- Undeterred by terrorists, mother and daughter comfort dying British soldier in London
- Flight diverted above United Kingdom after two passengers make bomb threats
- Priest Tells of Being Whipped by the Devil in the Land of Missions
- Pope Francis Calls Italian Bishops to a Renewed Pastoral Vision
- British soldier hacked to death in brazen attack by Islamic terrorists, stopped by prayerful, courageous women
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?