Rare vampire skeleton discovered in United Kingdom
Remains found with spikes through shoulders, heart and ankles
While purported "vampire skeletons" - the remains of those who were suspected of being the mythical night roaming blood suckers of yore during the Dark Ages, turn up regularly in Eastern Europe, they rarely appear in the United Kingdom. Archeologists have since found one in the ancient minster town of Southwell, Nottinghamshire, with metal spikes through its shoulders, heart and ankles.
In the 1950s the Hammer Horror films were popular and so people had seen Christopher Lee's 'Dracula' so the discovery of the vampire skeleton in Southwell was significant.
Those in the Middle Ages took these phantoms very seriously, and took extreme measures against anyone suspected of being able to haunt them in the afterlife.
The discovery of a skeleton, dating from 550-700 A.D., are from a third grave unearthed in central Bulgaria linked to the ritual, which was also apparently practiced in Southwell, Nottinghamshire.
The recent find is termed a "deviant burial," where people considered the "dangerous dead," such as vampires, were interred to prevent them rising from their graves to plague the living.
Only a handful of such burials have been unearthed in the U.K. The skeleton was found by archaeologist Charles Daniels during the original investigation of the site in Church Street in the town 1959, which revealed Roman remains.
Beresford said when Daniels found the skeleton he -jokingly, checked for fangs.
"In the 1950s the Hammer Horror films were popular and so people had seen Christopher Lee's 'Dracula' so it would have been quite relevant," Beresford says.
"The classic portrayal of the dangerous dead (more commonly known today as a vampire) is an undead corpse arising from the grave and all the accounts from this period reflect this.
"Throughout the Anglo-Saxon period the punishment of being buried in water-logged ground, face down, decapitated, staked or otherwise was reserved for thieves, murderers or traitors or later for those deviants who did not conform to society's rules: adulterers, disrupters of the peace, the un-pious or oath breaker.
"Which of these the Southwell deviant was we will never know," Beresford says.
Beresford believes the remains may still be buried on the site where they originally lay, as Daniels was unable to remove the body from the ground.
"If you look at it in a spooky way you still have the potential for it to rise at some point."
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: united Kingdom, vampire skeleton, superstition, Twilight series
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Europe News
- Pope Francis: To Evangelize, We Must Be Open to the Action of the Spirit of God
- Pentecostal Pope Calls Ecclesial Movements and the Whole Church to Newness, Unity and Mission
- Historic Meeting between Pope Francis and Coptic Patriarch, Tawadros II, Fosters Christian Unity
- Pope Francis Shakes up the Ambassadors Meeting and Addresses Economic Issues
- AU CONTRAIRE! Economic crisis has been 'pulling European public opinion apart'
- Pope Calls Whole Church to Encounter Jesus Christ Personally Through the Holy Spirit
- France ponder one percent 'Internet tax' to fund domestic computer production
- Pope Francis Canonizes 802 Saints: 800 Martyrs of Otranto and Two Latin American Foundresses
- Growth in Number of Catholics Worldwide, Along with Priests and Deacons
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?