Terror attacks in Libya more sophisticated than previously thought
Still no explanation why Obama lied about them.
New information about the nature of the 9-11 attacks in Benghazi is coming to light as intelligence officials are speaking to the media about what they know. The attacks in Benghazi were well-organized plots supported by al Qaeda.
Al-Qaeda in Iraq fighters are also suspected of aiding the opposition in Syria.
The late US Ambassador, Chris Stevens even told US officials as early as 2008, that the nearby village of Derna was supplying al Qaeda in Iraq with fighters.
Previously, the work was believed to be the responsibility of the smaller, less effective Islamic Maghreb, a North African al Qaeda affiliate. Now knowing that al Qaeda in Iraq was involved suggests that the attacks were far more sophisticated than previously thought.
Intelligence officials say the well-organized attack came in two waves. The first wave contained 35 to 40 fighters with at least a dozen of them being connected to al Qaeda in Iraq or Islamic Maghreb. A second wave struck a smaller compound about a mile away a few hours later.
Both attacks produced two American fatalities each.
Other fighters are believed to be tied to extremist groups in both Egypt and Tunisia. At least one of the attackers is said to have been arrested in Turkey and deported to custody in Tunisia, but the US has been denied access to him.
The FBI and CIA are still investigating the matter, according to Obama administration officials.
Now public emails suggest that the White House was made aware of the true nature of the attacks in Benghazi within hours. Despite these understandings, President Obama continued to blame the attacks on a spontaneous protest against an anti-Muslim video posted to YouTube in the US. It is now known that no protests were actually occurring in Libya.
It remains unclear just why Obama chose to lie to the American people about the attacks, and why he persisted in that lie, even after the emails and other evidence of terrorism came to light.
Republicans are pointing to this as a failure of the Obama administration's foreign and security policies. Obama says he did everything he could with the information he had.
That statement is functionally correct. He took the information he had, and lied to the American people.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Africa News
- Nelson Mandela es símbolo de reconciliación, dice vocero de Obispos de Sudáfrica
- Revered South African statesman Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- Obianuju Ekeocha on World AIDS Day - The Condom and the Killer Virus
- Hoping to boost trade, Kenya launches $13.8 billion China-built railway
- Goodbye Islam - Angola orders all mosques shut down in Islamic ban
- Protests in Angola erupt after deaths of anti-government activists
- Smartphones to bring a $300bn boost to Africa GDP
- Obianuju Ekeocha Calls out Melinda Gates for Turning up the Heat of Population Control in Africa
- Eyes on Malawi: Help Protect the Life and Dignity of African Women and Children!
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?