UN can only feed half of the nearly 2 million starving in Syria
World Food Aid program needs another $60 million.
Catholic Online has been covering the humanitarian disaster in Syria and predicting a tremendous shortage of food aid. This shortage has now arrived. Meanwhile, the UN reports that the number of people in need of emergency food aid has risen five-fold since April to 1.5 million souls.
A starving baby in a Syrian hospital. Food and medicine are virtually exhausted creating a famine situation. The regime is accused of trying to starve people into submission.
Meanwhile, both sides appear to be locked in a stalemate, which is exacerbating the situation. Neither side can achieve decisive victory, and this is prolonging the conflict. As the conflict is drawn out, more and more victims are created. The death toll is now over 30,000 and several millions of people are said to be displaced. The UN is attempting to provide aid for nearly 2 million.
Airplanes belonging to al-Assad's regime are conducting indiscriminate bombing raids of civilian centers as a means of terrorizing the populace from supporting the rebels. This has led to civilian casualties which include women and children.
The UN's World Food Program, an agency that typically responds to crises in Africa and Southeast Asia, has been working in the region since the start of the conflict. The agency says it has raised $78 million for food aid so far, but still needs another $60 million to sustain the people through the coming winter. At this rate, the agency can only feed about half of the starving people.
Click here to see what's happening in Syria WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES
The UN is calling upon member nations to send donations of money or food aid and is also asking them to apply diplomatic pressure to resolve the conflict in Syria.
On the cyber front, anti-Assad hacktivists managed to gain access to the state-run Facebook page and posted information about the country's ambassador to Lebanon, saying he was dismissed on Monday. The state information ministry denies this claim. If true the dismissal would be another sign of the unraveling of al-Assad's government.
CLICK HERE TO HELP THESE PEOPLE NOW!
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Middle East News
- More than 100,000 Ethiopians expelled from Saudi Arabia
- Free the Nuns of St. Thekla! Pope, Orthodox Leaders Urge Prayer for Kidnapped Nuns in Syria
- 'Tolerant' Muslims threaten holy war if Jews try to pray at site of ancient temple
- Embajador palestino en España se ofrece a cambio de liberación de doce religiosas en Siria
- HIV cases skyrocketing in Iran
- THIS OLD HOUSE: Amazing 10,000-year-old house uncovered in Israel
- Young girls and boys tortured and executed in Syrian civil war
- A VERY OLD TOAST! 3,700-year-old wine cellar found
- 5,000-year-old salt mines built by prehistoric men still in use today
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?