Syrian warplanes attacking civilians
Indiscriminate attacks becoming routine.
Digging through the rubble with their hands, people in Aleppo are looking for loved ones buried under rubble in the aftermath of repeated government strikes. Pro-Assad air forces have been dropping bombs on cities such as Aleppo without any regard for their targets. Scores have been killed.
The cultural heritage of Syria, once in ancient times the most powerful nation on the planet, is also being destroyed.
Estimates of casualties range from a conservative 20,000 dead to 30,000.
Survivors dig for their dead and dying using their bare hands.
With fighting constant and the UN busy holding its General Assembly, the disaster in Syria has been getting less attention in the media. As world focus shifts to the possibility of conflict between Israel and Iran and Americans focus on their upcoming election, Assad is using the lull in vigilance to step up violent attacks on his own people.
In addition to warplanes, the Syrian army is using artillery to fire shells indiscriminately into cities and towns where rebel fighters are known to reside.
As usual, unsuspecting and uninvolved children are suffering the most. It is the children who most acutely feel the pangs of hunger and who are left without loved ones to care for them.
Meanwhile, Russia and China continue to block any meaningful efforts to quell the violence.
While the Syrian ambassador to the UN offered an appeal to peace and a truce to end the fighting, the opposition disregarded the message, calling it a ploy to trick the international community that there is a chance for peace.
Click here to see images from the conflict (warning mature viewers only).
So while the world dithers, more and more innocents are killed in the violence. Perhaps worse, the humanitarian situation is becoming dangerous for millions as food, water, and medicine run out. For now, the primary hope for the Syrian people lies in Assad's swift capitulation and the aid that reaches the country from overseas.
Click here to HELP NOW!
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Middle East News
- Free the Nuns of St. Thekla! Pope, Orthodox Leaders Urge Prayer for Kidnapped Nuns in Syria
- 'Tolerant' Muslims threaten holy war if Jews try to pray at site of ancient temple
- Embajador palestino en España se ofrece a cambio de liberación de doce religiosas en Siria
- HIV cases skyrocketing in Iran
- THIS OLD HOUSE: Amazing 10,000-year-old house uncovered in Israel
- Young girls and boys tortured and executed in Syrian civil war
- A VERY OLD TOAST! 3,700-year-old wine cellar found
- 5,000-year-old salt mines built by prehistoric men still in use today
- OOPS - OUR BAD! Syrian rebels mistakenly behead one of their own
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?