Time to stop calling Islam a religion of peace. IT IS NOT!
Islam is the only mainstream religion in the world still spreading by militant means.
The lesson is: freedom of speech does not exist in Islam. A Coptic Christian teacher, Bishoy Kamel will be spending the next six years in an Egyptian prison, and may face danger for the rest of his life for allegedly posting insults against the Prophet Mohammed on his Facebook page.
He was sentenced to three years for insulting the Prophet, two for the president, and one for his accuser.
After he was sentenced and led from court, Muslim protesters tried to attack him, pelting his police car with rocks as he was carried away to jail.
There are two facts that become immediately apparent. The first is that freedom of speech does not exist in Islamic societies where one can face punishment and persecution for verbal or written criticisms.
The second fact is that Islam, at last of the variety that is practiced by violent protestors around the world, cannot in any way be labeled a "religion of peace."
Other religions are typically criticized and satirized in free society. Those acts of free speech are considered offensive to their faithful, but it is only Muslims who react so violently to criticisms of their prophet.
To illustrate this point, this week a satirical American news publication (we will not mention its name) published an incredibly offensive and pornographic image depicting religious figures including Jesus, Moses, Ganesha, and the Buddha and made the editorial point that nobody was killed over the depiction. Likely sickened-yes, but harmed, no.
Militant Islam is more prevalent than many realize. The recent enlistment of an 8-year-old child in the cause of "jihad" in Australia, provides evidence of this.
Islamic leaders around the world must make a decision. This decision is must be made by the leaders of every sect and community within Islam. Either they condemn the violence and actively work towards protecting all, even those who would criticize them, or they face the world's judgment as they themselves nullify any claim to being a peaceful religion.
This includes those who sit silently, as their brothers and cousins throw stones at imprisoned bloggers.
How interesting to note that Islam is the only mainstream religion on the planet still spreading by militant means.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lords invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Africa News
- Four Nigerian men accused of homosexuality
- WHAT? Egyptian army claims both a cure for AIDS, hepatitis C
- Coptic Orthodox Church condemns killing of Egyptians in Libya
- West African nation of Mauritania should take broader steps to stop slavery
- Bill outlawing Homosexual behavior becomes law in Uganda, carries death penalty for acts of 'aggravated homosexuality'
- Nearly 100 people killed in Islamist attack in Northeast Nigerian village
- AFRICA'S SHAME: HIV positive teens, children dying due to failure to test them
- South Sudanese rebels claim seizure of Malakal
- Obianuju Ekeocha: Africa and the Totalitarian Approach of the Almighty Social Engineers
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?