British mosque leaders prepared to marry 12-year-old girl
Home Office will examine case in order to outlaw forced marriages
An investigation has found that some of the Muslim clerics residing in the United Kingdom are willing to perform arranged marriages involving girls as young as 12 years of age. Two imams have reportedly confessed that they would be prepared to officiate at the wedding of an underage girl to a man in his twenties - in spite of concerns that the two would later have sexual intercourse.
These shocking revelations have led the Home Office to confirm that such ceremonies will be examined in the Government's forthcoming Bill to outlaw forced marriages.
It has been estimated that more than 1,000 of the 8,000 forced marriages of Britons each year are believed to involve girls of 15 or younger. One case last year allegedly involved a girl of five.
The clerics were approached by man, who posed as the father of a 12-year-old, who wanted her to marry to prevent her being tempted into a "decadent Western lifestyle."
Imam Mohammed Kassamali, of the Husaini Islamic Center in Peterborough, stressed the need for secrecy with such a ceremony.
"If it (the marriage) was not possible, I would have told you straight away... I would love the girl to go to her husband's houses (sic) as soon as possible, the younger the better," he allegedly said.
"Under sharia (Islamic law) there is no problem. It is said she should see her first sign of puberty at the house of her husband.
"The problem is that we cannot explain such things (the marriage) if the girl went tomorrow (to the authorities).
"The other thing is the underage thing and if tomorrow the girl is, let's say coerced or forced into this, and she goes and reports it to the police then she will put all of us into the problems."
He told the couple to "delay the togetherness," meaning postpone having sexual intercourse.
"Tell people it is an engagement but it will be a marriage," Abdul Haque, a retired imam who still officiates at weddings at Shoreditch mosque, East London. He reportedly agreed to carry out the ceremony after evening prayers.
"In Islam, once the girl reaches puberty the father has the right, the parents have the right, but under the laws of this country if the girl complains and says her marriage has been arranged and she wasn't of marriageable age, then the person who performed the marriage will be jailed as well as the mother and father."
Haque explained how the Prophet Muhammad had married a seven-year-old girl before adding: "We are his followers, and that is what you have to explain (to your daughter)."
It is not illegal for clerics to perform Islamic marriages, even when one or both of those marrying are under 16 - but such marriages are not recognized in British law, so civil formalities can take place only if both are over 16.
Islamic law allows a couple to have sex after marriage but, as the legal age of consent is 16, a husband can be prosecuted for rape if he has sex with an underage girl.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: United Kingdom, forced marriage, child brides, Muslim
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Europe News
- Pope Francis: Open the Door to Faith and Do Not Try to Control
- Evil Face of Jihad in London Suburb: Muslim Attackers Hack a Young Soldier to Death and Behead Him
- 'World's oldest profession' suffers downturn in U.K.; food, mortgage more important than sex
- Businesses, not employees to foot 75 percent tax increase in France
- Undeterred by terrorists, mother and daughter comfort dying British soldier in London
- Flight diverted above United Kingdom after two passengers make bomb threats
- Priest Tells of Being Whipped by the Devil in the Land of Missions
- Pope Francis Calls Italian Bishops to a Renewed Pastoral Vision
- British soldier hacked to death in brazen attack by Islamic terrorists, stopped by prayerful, courageous women
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?