British mosque leaders prepared to marry 12-year-old girl
Home Office will examine case in order to outlaw forced marriages
An investigation has found that some of the Muslim clerics residing in the United Kingdom are willing to perform arranged marriages involving girls as young as 12 years of age. Two imams have reportedly confessed that they would be prepared to officiate at the wedding of an underage girl to a man in his twenties - in spite of concerns that the two would later have sexual intercourse.
These shocking revelations have led the Home Office to confirm that such ceremonies will be examined in the Government's forthcoming Bill to outlaw forced marriages.
It has been estimated that more than 1,000 of the 8,000 forced marriages of Britons each year are believed to involve girls of 15 or younger. One case last year allegedly involved a girl of five.
The clerics were approached by man, who posed as the father of a 12-year-old, who wanted her to marry to prevent her being tempted into a "decadent Western lifestyle."
Imam Mohammed Kassamali, of the Husaini Islamic Center in Peterborough, stressed the need for secrecy with such a ceremony.
"If it (the marriage) was not possible, I would have told you straight away... I would love the girl to go to her husband's houses (sic) as soon as possible, the younger the better," he allegedly said.
"Under sharia (Islamic law) there is no problem. It is said she should see her first sign of puberty at the house of her husband.
"The problem is that we cannot explain such things (the marriage) if the girl went tomorrow (to the authorities).
"The other thing is the underage thing and if tomorrow the girl is, let's say coerced or forced into this, and she goes and reports it to the police then she will put all of us into the problems."
He told the couple to "delay the togetherness," meaning postpone having sexual intercourse.
"Tell people it is an engagement but it will be a marriage," Abdul Haque, a retired imam who still officiates at weddings at Shoreditch mosque, East London. He reportedly agreed to carry out the ceremony after evening prayers.
"In Islam, once the girl reaches puberty the father has the right, the parents have the right, but under the laws of this country if the girl complains and says her marriage has been arranged and she wasn't of marriageable age, then the person who performed the marriage will be jailed as well as the mother and father."
Haque explained how the Prophet Muhammad had married a seven-year-old girl before adding: "We are his followers, and that is what you have to explain (to your daughter)."
It is not illegal for clerics to perform Islamic marriages, even when one or both of those marrying are under 16 - but such marriages are not recognized in British law, so civil formalities can take place only if both are over 16.
Islamic law allows a couple to have sex after marriage but, as the legal age of consent is 16, a husband can be prosecuted for rape if he has sex with an underage girl.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Europe News
- Participating in the Resurrection Now: Pope Francis On Our Resurrection From the Dead
- El Papa: Si las palabras cristianas son palabras sin Cristo se recorre
- Christians of East and West Must Give Common Witness: Pope Francis Writes Patriarch Bartholomew
- Turkish churches get radical makeover - by being turned in to mosques
- Francis Xavier, Pope Francis and the Missionary Transformation of the Catholic Church
- Domestic abuse thrust into open in Greece
- Papa Francisco expresa su oración y solidaridad por víctimas de tragedia en Escocia
- Best-selling author links Jack the Ripper to Royal Family
- Con referéndum Croacia protege matrimonio entre hombre y mujer
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?