Terrorists tell Nigerian president to 'convert or resign'
Militant Islamist group Boko Haram demand that Goodluck Jonathan to abandon Christian faith
The militant Islamist group Boko Haram is demanding that Nigerian
President Goodluck Jonathan, a Christian to convert to Islam or resign.
In an online video clip, Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau demanded that
President Jonathan to "repent and forsake Christianity." Speaking in
Hausa, Shekau said the president should convert or resign if he wanted
Boko Haram to end its violent campaign.
In an online video clip, Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau demanded that Nigerian President Goodman Jonathan to "repent and forsake Christianity."
"He has the mandate of Nigerians to serve his fatherland. Nobody should imagine that he will succumb to blackmail."
The demand is a common tenet of Islam. According to a hadith, the writings and sayings of the prophet, Sahih al-Bukhari has quoted Mohammed as saying, "I have been ordered (by Allah) to fight against the people until they testify that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and that Muhammad is Allah's Apostle, and offer the prayers perfectly and give the obligatory charity, so if they perform a that, then they save their lives an property from me except for Islamic laws and then their reckoning (accounts) will be done by Allah."
The incident recalls a similar incident in 2006, when Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad sent President Bush a letter inviting him to embrace Islam. Ahmadinejad urged Bush to make "a genuine return to the teachings of prophets, to monotheism and justice, to preserve human dignity and obedience to the Almighty and his prophets."
Boko Haram has targeted Christians in northern parts of Africa's most populous country with bombings and assaults, vowing to cleanse northern Nigeria of Christians.
Boko Haram's name roughly translates "Western education is forbidden," include banning non-Islamic education and extending shari'a (Islamic law) - currently implemented in 12 northern states, across the entire country. Forty percent of Nigerians identify themselves as Christians.
The Obama administration so far has resisted calls by U.S. lawmakers to designate Boko Haram as a foreign terrorist organization under American law.
Shekau and two other Boko Haram individuals have been listed this summer as "specially designated global terrorists" under an executive order designed to disrupt funding to terrorists.
Republican lawmakers Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.), chairman of the Homeland Security Committee, and Rep. Patrick Meehan (R-Pa.), chairman of the committee's counterterrorism and intelligence subcommittee, said the step was "insufficient."
State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said the administration was "continuing to look at the question of a broader designation."
"But as you know, Boko Haram is at the moment a loosely constructed group attached to trying to address grievances in the north. There are different views within the group, and we're continuing to look at that."
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Africa News
- South Africans dance and sing outside Nelson Mandela's home to honor country's 'greatest son'
- Nelson Mandela es símbolo de reconciliación, dice vocero de Obispos de Sudáfrica
- Revered South African statesman Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- Obianuju Ekeocha on World AIDS Day - The Condom and the Killer Virus
- Hoping to boost trade, Kenya launches $13.8 billion China-built railway
- Goodbye Islam - Angola orders all mosques shut down in Islamic ban
- Smartphones to bring a $300bn boost to Africa GDP
- Protests in Angola erupt after deaths of anti-government activists
- Obianuju Ekeocha Calls out Melinda Gates for Turning up the Heat of Population Control in Africa
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?