New Egyptian Government Tested as Violence Erupts in Dahshur
a delegation of priests to meet with the President, but he did not meet with the delegation.
Instead, he sent his official spokesman, Dr. Yasir Ali, who told the delegation that ". . . the [P]resident is closely following recent events in Dahshur. He has deployed the appropriate resources to execute justice and to apply the law regardless of religion. He reaffirmed his commitment to guard the rights of Egyptian citizens and to maintain a civil relationship between Muslims and Christians in Egypt."
However, Dr. Naguib Gabriel, the head of the Egyptian Union of Human Rights Organization, said that the Copts have been systematically persecuted since Mursi became president. He also said "that in the last ten days of the Muslim Ramadan fast, twelve incidents took place against the Copts, including the arrest of the six Copts in Dahshur, while no Muslim was arrested."
It would appear that the Copts are being lied to by their leaders, but only time will tell for sure. In the meantime, let us pray that President Mursi and the Muslim Brotherhood rise above their intolerant, radical past and become true democratic leaders and that justice and peace will flourish in Egypt. Let us also pray for all those who were victimized in Dahshur, especially young Moaz and Samy, and for those brave and good Muslims who helped their Coptic neighbors.
Michael Terheyden was born into a Catholic family, but that is not why he is a Catholic. He is a Catholic because he believes that truth is real, that it is beautiful and good, and that the fullness of truth is in the Catholic Church. However, he knows that God's grace operating throughout his life is the main reason he is a Catholic. He is greatly blessed to share his faith and his life with his beautiful wife, Dorothy. They have four grown children and three grandchildren.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Copts, Christian, persecution, Dahshur, Egypt, President Mursi, Michael Terheyden
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Middle East News
- You'll be surprised to see what Palestinians are smuggling into Gaza
- Use Twitter, go to HELL
- As death and destruction rain down in Syria, refugees flee with lives to Jordan
- Hezbollah can reach Israel with missiles, report says
- Did intervention in Iraq unjustly discriminate against the Christians there?
- With Hezbollah statement, Syrian conflict threatens to spread into multinational conflict
- Chemical weapons in Syria - Did they or didn't they?
- The Most Powerful Weapon for Peace in Syria, The Trappist Nuns of Allepo
- Butchered in Baniyas! Women, children slaughtered in Syria (GRAPHIC WARNING)
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?