The North Korean 'Dear Successor' marries
North Korean leader, Kim Jong Eun appears in public with his new wife.
North Korea is happily announcing the marriage of leader Kim Jong Eun to a young, slender woman, identified as, "Comrade Ri Sol Ju." The pair has been seen in public on numerous occasion, leading to speculation regarding her role.
Kim and Ri have made several public appearances, and either she is a good actress or she genuinely loves him. On several occasions the two have been seen close to one another, sometimes with Ri leaning in towards him and the couple even touching. For the ultra-conservative, secretive regime, this is an astounding development.
And while Kim and his retainer appear dressed in fine clothes, their suits appear quite similar and dark, almost like uniforms. However, Ri's apparel is bright and cheery by comparison. Ri is often seen wearing yellows and reds with polka-dots. She has also been seen wearing a knee-length skirt.
While this alone is a sign of change, there is no sign that change will be coming for the ordinary citizens of the country.
Kim has now led the reclusive state for seven months, following the death of his father last December. Hopes for swift reform have been dashed as Kim has spent the last several months consolidating his power.
Crackdowns on critics have continued and several high-ranking officials have been dismissed, their powers handed to Kim who now sits at the head of the military as well as the Worker's Party. And people who have attempted to flee the country have also been arrested and punished.
Kim might still show himself to be a reformer, but it will take more than an attractive young wife to prove it to the rest of the world.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Asia Pacific News
- UN report on food an agriculture holds dire warning for the world
- Missing Malaysia plane was found to be hundreds of miles off course
- Disintegrated - in mid-air? Missing Malaysian plane mystery deepens
- Top Malaysia court delays ruling on use of 'Allah'
- Filipino Cardinal blasts Catholics for hypocrisy
- Chinese train massacre carried out by Islamist gang on 'Holy War' spree
- Pakistan feeling wages of sin; Drug addiction, AIDS rife is South Asian nation
- Indian economy slows in most recent quarter
- While Cambodia's poverty rate drops, many still struggle to survive
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?
Food shortage looms
Agriculture report has dire warning for the world
Violence against women
Mexican women face daunting challenges
Nordic states the worst
Countries rate worst in violence against women
Starvation used as weapon
Syrians starve to death in refugee camps
Global warming leads to disease in higher places
Blood test to diagnose Alzheimer's disease
Radical Islamists fire upon train station; 29 dead
Give a man a mask --
Fascinating Stone Age masks subject of exhibit
Agent sent DuPont secrets to China
The importance of Lent
Fasting makes faithful more aware, Pope says
Where did it go?
Malaysian jet still not found; world waits
Mike Huckabee condemns
Conservative politician lambastes Clinton, Obama
Global debt grows
Borrowing during crisis added to world's debt
Medical miracle attributed to Archbishop Sheen