GRAPHIC VIDEO - Syrian rebel buried alive
Authenticity and source remain unknown.
A video has emerged from the Syrian conflict that appears to show a man being buried alive. Two caveats. First, the authenticity of the video is disputable, and second, the content is gruesome.
This still image captures the horror of the video above.
The video shows a civilian who has been buried in a pit up to his neck. Armed soldiers belonging to Assad's regime surround the victim.
According to the video's subtitles, an officer asks, "What's he got? Did you find anything on this damn animal?"
The source describes the man as a civilian from Al-Qussair, which is a rebel-held city in western Syria. He was accused of carrying a camera with which he allegedly filmed and recorded Syrian security forces.
After being insulted multiple times, the solders are ordered to bury the man. As dirt is shoveled over his head, he cries out, "I bear witness that there is no god but Allah!"
The solders cruelly reply, "Say there is no god but Bashar, you animal."
The video ends with the man's head buried under a mound of dirt.
The end of the clip contains a message calling the world to action.
There are multiple reasons why an objective observer might cast doubt on the video. The original source for the footage also remains unknown. It does appear questionable that security forces would gruesomely murder a man for the crime of recording security force atrocities, and subsequently record an atrocity of their own.
While the video may be fake, it is still one of the most disturbing bits of media to emerge from the troubled region which has been racked by violence for over a year. If the video is verified as authentic, then it will be ironclad proof of the atrocities of Assad's regime.
Meanwhile, despite a cease-fire agreement and the presence of UN observers, violence continues throughout the region. Both sides blame the other for violations of the cease-fire.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Syria, buried alive, rebel, atrocity, atrocities, Assad, fake, video, Twitter, YouTube, Facebook
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Middle East News
- Where is President Obama as Egypt's Coptic Christians Die and Churches Burn?
- Israel and Syria at brink of war as both sides exchange fire, threats
- Elements of Syrian opposition feared to be aligned with al-Qaeda
- You'll be surprised to see what Palestinians are smuggling into Gaza
- Use Twitter, go to HELL
- As death and destruction rain down in Syria, refugees flee with lives to Jordan
- Hezbollah can reach Israel with missiles, report says
- Did intervention in Iraq unjustly discriminate against the Christians there?
- With Hezbollah statement, Syrian conflict threatens to spread into multinational conflict
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?