Violence in Iraq increases following US withdrawal
Country is at risk of civil war.
Despite the withdrawal of US troops from Iraq in December, violence has continued in that country, threatening the peace and stability of the fledgling nation.
Soon, Iraq will have witnessed a full decade of war and civil strife.
The current government is Shia led, and the campaign to arrest the Vice-President, the country's highest ranking Sunni official on terrorism-related charges has many Sunnis at odds with the mainstream government.
Many fear the country could be plunged into civil war as violence escalates.
And that violence has become a part of daily life. Several hundred Iraqis are dying each month in terror attacks across the nation. During the US occupation, the number of people killed during the months of 2011 was between 223 and 340. Since the pullout, those numbers have actually risen to 451 for January of 2012.
So far, 74 civilians have been killed in the first week of March alone, putting the country on track to keep up the bloody pace of killings.
Unfortunately, with the rest of the world distracted by violence in Syria and Iran's nuclear machinations, there appears to be little attention to this dangerous problem and less hope of resolution anytime soon.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Middle East News
- Free the Nuns of St. Thekla! Pope, Orthodox Leaders Urge Prayer for Kidnapped Nuns in Syria
- 'Tolerant' Muslims threaten holy war if Jews try to pray at site of ancient temple
- Embajador palestino en España se ofrece a cambio de liberación de doce religiosas en Siria
- HIV cases skyrocketing in Iran
- THIS OLD HOUSE: Amazing 10,000-year-old house uncovered in Israel
- Young girls and boys tortured and executed in Syrian civil war
- A VERY OLD TOAST! 3,700-year-old wine cellar found
- 5,000-year-old salt mines built by prehistoric men still in use today
- OOPS - OUR BAD! Syrian rebels mistakenly behead one of their own
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?