Secretary of Ecclesia Dei Positive about Negotiations between SSPX and Catholic Church
Whoever is Catholic body and soul can live fully and well in the Catholic Church
In an interview with Gloria TV, the Secretary of the Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei said there was no reason to expect a failure in negotiations.
Now, it is up to the SSPX
ROME, Italy (Vatican Insider) - "The doctrinal Preamble has been delivered to Monsignor Fellay and to the superiors of the Priestly Fraternity of Saint Pius X, so that they can examine it and provide a response, which we hope will be a favourable, positive and affirmitive one."
"It is always possible to ask for clarifications which we will be sure to give within a reasonable period of time. I think it is out of place to dwell on the problem of what will happen if the difficulties are judged to be serious."
These were the words of the Secretary of the Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei, Monsignor Guido Pozzo, to whom Benedict XVI entrusted the "negotiations" for the much hoped for reentry of Monsignor Marcel Lefebvre's followers into communion with the Catholic Church.
"Whoever is Catholic body and soul", the prelate explained to Gloria TV microphones, "can live fully and well in the Catholic Church, wherever the Catholic Church exists and grows." This, he clarified, "is not just a statement of principle, it is an existential affirmation that corresponds to the reality of the Catholic Church."
And even though he admits that "some difficulties do exist, partly because of the critical situation in which many Catholics find themselves in this and other countries," Monsignor Pozzo is optimistic about the success of the path of reconciliation with the traditionalists who ran into Lefebvre's schism, a path the Pope wished to begin three years agowith the motu proprio "Summorum Pontificum". This liberalises the use of the old Latin missal and allows a pardon to be given, remitting the excommunications of the four bishops whom Lefevre himself had consecrated illicitly.
"I don't believe, the interviewer recalled, that any cases of this kind have ever arisen at any time in history and so the answer is very simple: whoever is truly and completely Catholic, not only has the right to be in the Catholic Church, but lives well in it and is happy being part of it."
The Secretary of the Pontifical Commission of Ecclesia Dei believes the widepread "upset stomachs" that the Pope's decisions have caused, are the result of "a widespread prejudice against the liturgy celebrated according to the extraordinary form of the Roman Rite."
- - -
Vatican Insider is a project run by the daily newspaper La Stampa, designed to provide a complete information service on the Vatican, the activities of the Pope and the Holy See, the Catholic Church’s presence on the international scene and on religious issues. It is an independent multimedia tool, produced in three languages: Italian, English and Spanish.
Keywords: SSPX, Lefebvrians, Doctrinal preamble, schism, healing, Pope Benedict XVI
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Europe News
- Pope Francis To G8 Global Leaders: Goal of Economics is to Serve Humanity
- Fr. Pavone: Gosnell Babies are NOT Unclaimed and Deserve Burial
- Fall of the Wall of Silence: More on Pope Francis and Reports of a 'Gay Lobby' in the Roman Curia
- Social networking taking off in BIG WAY in Europe - and many are senior citizens
- Pope Teaches the Faithful What it Means to Be a Part of the Church, the People of God
- NAUGHTY TEENS: When an adolescent is blocked from an Internet site - it's usually pornographic
- Money Changers in the Temple: Tel Aviv redefines itself as Gay Capital of the World
- What Did Pope Francis Say to CLAR about the Curia, Traditionalists, New Gnostics, and the Poor?
- Brother Benedict: Pope Emeritus Lives as a Monk in Prayer, Continuing the Work of the Church
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?