Oops! US gives $360 million to Taliban, other enemies.
Investigation shows US has been paying the Taliban to fight.
A careful audit of combat support and reconstruction contracts reveals that at least $360 million in US tax dollars has gone to fund the Taliban and terrorist operations in Afghanistan. Corrupt contractors and subcontractors are responsible for the diversion of funds which have surely resulted in harm to soldiers and civilians throughout the region.
The review was started last year by a special task force organized by Gen. David Petraeus. The task force was asked to look into the connections that many Afghan companies had with subcontractors and criminals. The investigation revealed a process they refer to as, "reverse money laundering" in which legitimate payments are paid to contractors and diverted to subcontractors who in turn, garnish the funds and give money to terrorists or other "malign actors" as the US military refers to them.
These malign actors include the Taliban, responsible for countless attacks on American and other international personnel as well as civilians. While the overall sum of monies under review was $31 billion, the $360 million that has gone to terrorists is quite significant. Terrorist operations in Afghanistan are very low-tech and very cheap. It costs very little to conduct operations, so the $360 million is enough to finance large-scale terrorist operations.
The Defense Department announced that is has ended its contracts with the organizations identified as having corrupt ties and has solicited new bids to replace them. The new companies, which have not been named to protect them from larger corrupt companies, are vying for a share of some $983.5 million in contracts.
Congress is examining the problem. Rep. John Tierney, D-Mass. explained, " When war becomes good business for the insurgents, it is all the more difficult to convince them to lay down their arms." For its part, the military is working harder to ban companies who violate the terms of their contracts, have corrupt ties, or patronize terrorist networks. Success is crucial, the US cannot win a conflict when it's paying the enemy to fight.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Asia Pacific News
- Disintegrated - in mid-air? Missing Malaysian plane mystery deepens
- Top Malaysia court delays ruling on use of 'Allah'
- Filipino Cardinal blasts Catholics for hypocrisy
- Chinese train massacre carried out by Islamist gang on 'Holy War' spree
- Pakistan feeling wages of sin; Drug addiction, AIDS rife is South Asian nation
- Indian economy slows in most recent quarter
- While Cambodia's poverty rate drops, many still struggle to survive
- Slavery scandal involving teenage girls shocks Indian Tea Company
- Australian airlines Qantas to cut 5,000 jobs
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?