Oops! US gives $360 million to Taliban, other enemies.
Investigation shows US has been paying the Taliban to fight.
Millions of US tax dollars have financed terrorist and other criminal operations.
The review was started last year by a special task force organized by Gen. David Petraeus. The task force was asked to look into the connections that many Afghan companies had with subcontractors and criminals. The investigation revealed a process they refer to as, "reverse money laundering" in which legitimate payments are paid to contractors and diverted to subcontractors who in turn, garnish the funds and give money to terrorists or other "malign actors" as the US military refers to them.
These malign actors include the Taliban, responsible for countless attacks on American and other international personnel as well as civilians. While the overall sum of monies under review was $31 billion, the $360 million that has gone to terrorists is quite significant. Terrorist operations in Afghanistan are very low-tech and very cheap. It costs very little to conduct operations, so the $360 million is enough to finance large-scale terrorist operations.
The Defense Department announced that is has ended its contracts with the organizations identified as having corrupt ties and has solicited new bids to replace them. The new companies, which have not been named to protect them from larger corrupt companies, are vying for a share of some $983.5 million in contracts.
Congress is examining the problem. Rep. John Tierney, D-Mass. explained, " When war becomes good business for the insurgents, it is all the more difficult to convince them to lay down their arms." For its part, the military is working harder to ban companies who violate the terms of their contracts, have corrupt ties, or patronize terrorist networks. Success is crucial, the US cannot win a conflict when it's paying the enemy to fight.
© 2011, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Corruption, Taliban, Afghanistan, terrorists, enemies, contractors
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Asia Pacific News
- Pakistan leads world in gay pornography Internet searches
- Rape and molestation violence against women increases by six percent in India
- GRISLY VENGEANCE: Teenager decapitates father after he raped her
- 'We watch the drones all day long in fear' - Pakistanis come out to protest U.S. drones
- China launches three-member crew into space to dock with space lab
- Husband carries ailing wife on back for 40 km to hospital but unborn baby dies
- Young Indian nurse dies slow, agonizing death after acid attack
- China: More Censorship and Arrests on the Anniversary of Tiananmen
- Condemned to death: Heartbreaking film documents plight of gang-rape victim
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?