Pakistan flood worse than three disasters combined
Deaths continue to mount in torrential downpours
A United Nations official has declared that the number of people affected by Pakistan's massive floods could exceed the combined total of three recent major natural disasters. Maurizio Giuliano, a spokesman for the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, says that if calculations are correct, the scale of the disaster could be worse than Haiti's January earthquake, the 2004 tsunami and the 2005 Pakistan earthquake combined.
At least 28 people were killed in landslides In the northern area of Gilgit-Baltistan, but officials said up to 40 people were feared dead.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Asia Pacific News
- Oh my! It's raining dead mice on Guam!
- Breastfeeding for infant survivors of Typhoon Haiyan urged
- Cradle baby scheme in India cuts female infanticide
- In spite of U.S. military occupation, opium production at all-time high in Afghanistan
- China launches first moon mission with unmanned lunar probe
- IS THIS PROGRESS? Adulterers may now be stoned in Afghanistan
- Earliest ever 'Buddhist shrine' uncovered by archaeologists
- For the world to see: Afghan mother shows acid attack burns
- 'Cookii monster' Lethal pink jellyfish rediscovered 100 YEARS after off Australian coast
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?