Cardinal Ouellet appointed as head of Vatican Congregation for Bishops
Archbishop of Quebec and Primate of Canada since 2002
He has also held a number of consultancy positions to various Vatican congregations. He currently is a consultor to the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, a member of the Pontifical Committee for International Eucharistic Congresses, and advisor to the Pontifical Commission for Latin America.
VATICAN CITY (CNA/EWTN News) - On Wednesday, the Vatican announced the nomination of Cardinal Marc Ouellet to take the place of the retiring Cardinal Giovanni Battista Re in his two major positions in the Roman Curia. With the appointment, Cardinal Ouellet, no stranger to Rome, will enter into the Vatican ranks as prefect of the Congregation for Bishops and the president of the Pontifical Commission for Latin America.
Archbishop of Quebec and Primate of Canada since 2002, the Canadian prelate was made a cardinal by Pope John Paul II in 2003.
According a biography released by the Catholic Church of Quebec, Cardinal Ouellet received teaching instruction from an early stage in his life and went on to get his B.A. in education from Laval University before taking on theological studies at the Grand Séminaire de Montréal from 1964-68. Upon graduating with his licentiate in theology, he was ordained a priest for his home diocese of Amos.
He earned a second licentiate from St. Thomas Aquinas Pontifical University in Rome in philosophy from 1974 and obtained a doctorate in Dogmatic Theology from the Pontifical Gregorian University in 1983.
He has taught philosophy and theology extensively in a number of seminaries in Canada and Columbia as well as at the Pontifical Lateran University in Rome.
He served as secretary to the Pontifical Council for the Promotion of Christian Unity from March 2001 until his installment as Archbishop of Quebec in Jan. 2003. He has also held a number of consultancy positions to various Vatican congregations. He currently is a consultor to the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, a member of the Pontifical Committee for International Eucharistic Congresses, and advisor to the Pontifical Commission for Latin America.
Upon hearing of the cardinal's appointment, Bishop Pierre Morissette sent him a letter of congratulations, saying, "It is a joy and pleasure for me as President of the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops to congratulate His Eminence Marc Cardinal Ouellet on his appointment . Cardinal Ouellet is accompanied by the prayers and good wishes of all the Bishops of Canada . "
Outgoing Cardinal Giovanni Battista Re has held the position of prefect of the Congregation of Bishops for the last 10 years. His extensive resume most notably includes his responsibilities as a member of the Secretariat of State, the Vatican congregations for the Doctrine of the Faith, the Evangelization of Peoples, the Oriental Churches and the Pontifical Council for Legislative Texts.
- - -
Founded in continued response to Pope John Paul II’s call for a “New Evangelization,” the Catholic News Agency (CNA) has been, since 2004, one of the fastest growing Catholic news providers to the English speaking world.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Europe News
- St. John Paul II: Reliable Reports Affirm Second Miracle, Canonization This Year
- Pope Francis Adds Name of St Joseph to Every Mass in the Eucharistic Prayer: What Does it Mean?
- Pope Francis To G8 Global Leaders: Goal of Economics is to Serve Humanity
- Fr. Pavone: Gosnell Babies are NOT Unclaimed and Deserve Burial
- Fall of the Wall of Silence: More on Pope Francis and Reports of a 'Gay Lobby' in the Roman Curia
- Social networking taking off in BIG WAY in Europe - and many are senior citizens
- Pope Teaches the Faithful What it Means to Be a Part of the Church, the People of God
- NAUGHTY TEENS: When an adolescent is blocked from an Internet site - it's usually pornographic
- Money Changers in the Temple: Tel Aviv redefines itself as Gay Capital of the World
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?