Pope Encourages Personal Relationship With Christ
Only Jesus is 'joy to the heart' says Benedict XVI citing words from St. Bernard of Clairvaux.
(St. Bernard of Clairvaux) The Pope said Bernard's concept of true knowledge of God consists in a 'personal, profound experience of Jesus Christ and of his love'.
The Pope reflected today during the general audience on this 12th century saint, highlighting his personal relationship with Christ.
According to the Holy Father, "in a more than decisive way, the abbot of Clairvaux configures the theologian to the contemplative and the mystic. Only Jesus -- insists Bernard in face of the complex dialectical reasoning of his time -- only Jesus is 'honey to the mouth, song to the ear, joy to the heart.'"
Ideas like this one, noted the Pontiff, won the saint his traditional title: "Doctor Mellifluus: his praise of Jesus Christ, in fact, 'runs like honey.'"
Benedict XVI observed that "the abbot of Clairvaux does not tire of repeating that only one name counts, that of Jesus the Nazarene. 'Arid is all food of the soul,' [the saint] confesses, 'if it is not sprinkled with this oil; insipid, if it is not seasoned with this salt. What is written has no flavor for me, if I have not read Jesus.' And he concludes: 'When you discuss or speak, nothing has flavor for me, if I have not heard resound the name of Jesus.'"
The Pope said Bernard's concept of true knowledge of God consists in a "personal, profound experience of Jesus Christ and of his love."
"And this, dear brothers and sisters," he said, "is true for every Christian: Faith is above all a personal, intimate encounter with Jesus, and to experience his closeness, his friendship, his love; only in this way does one learn to know him ever more, and to love and follow him ever more. May this happen to each one of us."
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Europe News
- El Papa: Si las palabras cristianas son palabras sin Cristo se recorre
- Christians of East and West Must Give Common Witness: Pope Francis Writes Patriarch Bartholomew
- Turkish churches get radical makeover - by being turned in to mosques
- Francis Xavier, Pope Francis and the Missionary Transformation of the Catholic Church
- Domestic abuse thrust into open in Greece
- Papa Francisco expresa su oración y solidaridad por víctimas de tragedia en Escocia
- Best-selling author links Jack the Ripper to Royal Family
- Con referéndum Croacia protege matrimonio entre hombre y mujer
- Fatima and the Conversion of Russia: Pope Francis Meets President Putin
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?