Spanish Bishops Propose Youth Day Patron
The Bishops recommended Blessed Mary Raphael Arnaiz Baron, better known as "Brother Raphael," as a co-patron for the international event.
In an Aug. 15 pastoral letter, the prelates recommended Blessed Mary Raphael Arnaiz Baron, better known as "Brother Raphael," as a co-patron for the international event. The Pope will preside over the youth day in Madrid in August 2011.
"We trust that Brother Raphael Arnaiz will accompany us as one of the 'co-patrons' of the meeting, so that all the young people of the world might become aware of God's work in this young man of the 20th century," explained the bishops.
The pastoral letter addressed to young people and titled "Seek God's Face,” urged: "Let it not be the case that 'those of home' do not know the treasure we have next to us, and that others must come from afar to open our eyes!
“Let us draw near to Brother Raphael, go on pilgrimage to the Trappist monastery of St. Isidore of Duenas to pray at his tomb, let us read his writings, and let us be witnesses of his life and testimony.
"In sum, let us be genuine, like Brother Raphael!”
Brother Raphael (1911-1938) was beatified by Pope John Paul II on Sept. 27, 1992. His canonization will be Oct. 11.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Europe News
- Pope Francis: Jesus Became Poor, So that by His Poverty You Might Become Rich
- DEFIANT RUSSIA: Leadership disregarding tough talk from Obama
- Long-lost pirate's treasure could be hidden off Irish coast
- British mom gets second opinion - and finds her unborn baby ALIVE, in spite of doctors
- Calling the Ecclesial Movements: Pope Francis Encourages Focolare, all the Movements, So Do We!
- Oops! Pope Francis accidentally mutters obscenity
- One rape or sexual assault reported by members of the Armed Forces - EVERY WEEK
- Pope Francis Writes to Families Seeking Prayer for the Synod on the Family
- After scandal, overseer gives Legion of Christ clean bill of health
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?