Spanish Bishops Propose Youth Day Patron
The Bishops recommended Blessed Mary Raphael Arnaiz Baron, better known as "Brother Raphael," as a co-patron for the international event.
In an Aug. 15 pastoral letter, the prelates recommended Blessed Mary Raphael Arnaiz Baron, better known as "Brother Raphael," as a co-patron for the international event. The Pope will preside over the youth day in Madrid in August 2011.
"We trust that Brother Raphael Arnaiz will accompany us as one of the 'co-patrons' of the meeting, so that all the young people of the world might become aware of God's work in this young man of the 20th century," explained the bishops.
The pastoral letter addressed to young people and titled "Seek God's Face,” urged: "Let it not be the case that 'those of home' do not know the treasure we have next to us, and that others must come from afar to open our eyes!
“Let us draw near to Brother Raphael, go on pilgrimage to the Trappist monastery of St. Isidore of Duenas to pray at his tomb, let us read his writings, and let us be witnesses of his life and testimony.
"In sum, let us be genuine, like Brother Raphael!”
Brother Raphael (1911-1938) was beatified by Pope John Paul II on Sept. 27, 1992. His canonization will be Oct. 11.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Europe News
- 'World's oldest profession' suffers downturn in U.K.; food, mortgage more important than sex
- Businesses, not employees to foot 75 percent tax increase in France
- Undeterred by terrorists, mother and daughter comfort dying British soldier in London
- Flight diverted above United Kingdom after two passengers make bomb threats
- Priest Tells of Being Whipped by the Devil in the Land of Missions
- Pope Francis Calls Italian Bishops to a Renewed Pastoral Vision
- Evil Face of Jihad in London Suburb: Muslim Attackers Hack a Young Soldier to Death and Behead Him
- British soldier hacked to death in brazen attack by Islamic terrorists, stopped by prayerful, courageous women
- Pope Francis: To Evangelize, We Must Be Open to the Action of the Spirit of God
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?