Pope Warns of 'Serpentine Secularization' in the Church
Benedict XVI warned that a 'serpentine secularization' is penetrating the Church, manifested in 'formal and empty Eucharistic worship.'
With the Eucharist, therefore, heaven comes down to earth, the tomorrow of God descends into the present and it is as if time remains embraced by divine eternity, the Bishop of Rome explained.
The Pope celebrated the feast of Corpus Christi today in Rome, presiding over Mass in the Basilica of St. John Lateran and then processing with the Blessed Sacrament to the Basilica of St. Mary Major.
In his homily, the Holy Father illustrated the importance of faith in the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist, telling the thousands of pilgrims that this faith "cannot be taken for granted."
"Today there arises the risk of a serpentine secularization even within the Church, which can convert into a formal and empty Eucharistic worship, in celebrations lacking this participation from the heart that is expressed in veneration and respect for the liturgy," he cautioned.
According to the Pontiff, "the temptation is always strong to reduce prayer to superficial and hurried moments, letting oneself be carried away by earthly activities and worries."
And nevertheless, he added, the Eucharist is "the bread of eternal life of the new world that is given us today in the holy Mass, so that starting now the future world begins in us."
"With the Eucharist, therefore, heaven comes down to earth, the tomorrow of God descends into the present and it is as if time remains embraced by divine eternity," the Bishop of Rome explained.
He didn't hide his joy at being able to accompany the Blessed Sacrament along the path to St. Mary Major; he invited the faithful to raise up this prayer: "Stay with us, Christ, give to us the gift of yourself and give us the bread that nourishes us for eternal life.
"Free this world from the venom of evil, of violence and of hate, which contaminate consciences; purify it with the power of your merciful love."
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Europe News
- Participating in the Resurrection Now: Pope Francis On Our Resurrection From the Dead
- El Papa: Si las palabras cristianas son palabras sin Cristo se recorre
- Turkish churches get radical makeover - by being turned in to mosques
- Christians of East and West Must Give Common Witness: Pope Francis Writes Patriarch Bartholomew
- Papa Francisco expresa su oración y solidaridad por víctimas de tragedia en Escocia
- Domestic abuse thrust into open in Greece
- Francis Xavier, Pope Francis and the Missionary Transformation of the Catholic Church
- Con referéndum Croacia protege matrimonio entre hombre y mujer
- Best-selling author links Jack the Ripper to Royal Family
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?