Could there be a 'Saint G.K. Chesterton?'
Scholars will soon meet in Oxford to discuss the possible Cause of G.K. Chesterton.
In this week's paper former Catholic Herald editor and Chesterton biographer William Oddie writes: "It is becoming clear that serious attention needs to be paid in the country of his birth to the question of Chesterton's holiness."
Dr Oddie will take part in a one-day conference on July 4 in Oxford where the speakers will include Dr Ian Ker, Fr John Saward, Fr Aidan Nichols OP and Dr Sheridan Gilley.
He said: "I have thought it possible for a long time, although when I wrote my book it wasn't something I particularly thought of him. But there was a time when no one thought Newman was particularly holy, just a bad-tempered, anti-Anglican polemicist. That's the way we think of Chesterton, as a polemicist.
"It'll be a long time before anything gets under way. The purpose of the conference is to make it thinkable."
Dr Oddie was surprised to find support for his Cause after delivering a paper at the American Chesterton Conference last year.
"I was asked what stage the Cause towards Chesterton's beatification had reached. When I said there was no Cause, the audience showed incredulity," he said.
Dr Oddie added that Chesterton had particular spiritual resonance in today's troubled climate. "As a social prophet he's coming into his own. First Communism collapsed, now monopoly capitalism has collapsed - what we're coming into now is the idea of small economic units, something clearly based in Catholic teaching."
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Europe News
- St. John Paul II: Reliable Reports Affirm Second Miracle, Canonization This Year
- Pope Francis Adds Name of St Joseph to Every Mass in the Eucharistic Prayer: What Does it Mean?
- Pope Francis To G8 Global Leaders: Goal of Economics is to Serve Humanity
- Fr. Pavone: Gosnell Babies are NOT Unclaimed and Deserve Burial
- Fall of the Wall of Silence: More on Pope Francis and Reports of a 'Gay Lobby' in the Roman Curia
- Social networking taking off in BIG WAY in Europe - and many are senior citizens
- Pope Teaches the Faithful What it Means to Be a Part of the Church, the People of God
- NAUGHTY TEENS: When an adolescent is blocked from an Internet site - it's usually pornographic
- Money Changers in the Temple: Tel Aviv redefines itself as Gay Capital of the World
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?