President Nominates Judge Sonia Sotomayor to U.S. Supreme Court
President Barack Obama has nominated U.S. Circuit Judge Sonia Sotomayor to the U.S. Supreme Court.
Then, reliable sources confirmed that during a midmorning Press conference, President Obama's selection as his first nominee to the United States Supreme Court would be announced.
Now, it has happened. U.S. Circuit Judge Sonia Sotomayor is the President's first nominee to the U.S. Supreme Court. if confirmed, she will be the first Hispanic member of the Court. She is 54 years old.
Judge Sonia Sotomayor is currently on the bench for the U.S. Court of Appeals, 2d Circuit. She had a strong academic record, graduating from Yale University Law School. While at Yale she edited the Law Review.
Both of her parents are from Puerto Rico. She was raised in the Bronx in a difficult neighborhood, having to overcome significant obstacles to pursuing her dream of a career in law.
Some sources, including Pete Williams, reported that the Judge is a Catholic. However, there has not yet been any indication of whether that report is accurate and, if so, if she actually practices her faith.
She was appointed to the Federal District Court by the first President Bush and later elevated to the appeals court by former President Clinton.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Increasing numbers of young people opposing Obamacare
- Vatican, State Department defend embassy move
- Precedent set by Obama may lead to revolt against federal government, expert says
- Oops, we didn't think of that! Utah may pull NSA plug by cutting water supply to facility
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?