President Nominates Judge Sonia Sotomayor to U.S. Supreme Court
President Barack Obama has nominated U.S. Circuit Judge Sonia Sotomayor to the U.S. Supreme Court.
Then, reliable sources confirmed that during a midmorning Press conference, President Obama's selection as his first nominee to the United States Supreme Court would be announced.
Now, it has happened. U.S. Circuit Judge Sonia Sotomayor is the President's first nominee to the U.S. Supreme Court. if confirmed, she will be the first Hispanic member of the Court. She is 54 years old.
Judge Sonia Sotomayor is currently on the bench for the U.S. Court of Appeals, 2d Circuit. She had a strong academic record, graduating from Yale University Law School. While at Yale she edited the Law Review.
Both of her parents are from Puerto Rico. She was raised in the Bronx in a difficult neighborhood, having to overcome significant obstacles to pursuing her dream of a career in law.
Some sources, including Pete Williams, reported that the Judge is a Catholic. However, there has not yet been any indication of whether that report is accurate and, if so, if she actually practices her faith.
She was appointed to the Federal District Court by the first President Bush and later elevated to the appeals court by former President Clinton.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Huckabee: 'If this nation forgets our God, then God will have every right to forget us'
- Russia seeks access to new facilities for navy: Is a new Cold War ahead?
- Bill that would allow surprise inspections at abortion clinics close to approval in Arizona
- UN: Almost 10,000 incidents of school violence from 2009-2013
- Syria, Venezuela, North Korea and Uganda called out by U.S. State Department for human rights abuses
- Citing 'negative consequences,' Arizona Governor vetoes anti-gay bill
- 'Shared responsibility payment' in Obamacare tax hides veiled threat
- California Senator faces 400 years in prison on corruption charges
- Leaked document shows NSA spied on trade talks, U.S. lawyers
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?