President Nominates Judge Sonia Sotomayor to U.S. Supreme Court
President Barack Obama has nominated U.S. Circuit Judge Sonia Sotomayor to the U.S. Supreme Court.
Then, reliable sources confirmed that during a midmorning Press conference, President Obama's selection as his first nominee to the United States Supreme Court would be announced.
Now, it has happened. U.S. Circuit Judge Sonia Sotomayor is the President's first nominee to the U.S. Supreme Court. if confirmed, she will be the first Hispanic member of the Court. She is 54 years old.
Judge Sonia Sotomayor is currently on the bench for the U.S. Court of Appeals, 2d Circuit. She had a strong academic record, graduating from Yale University Law School. While at Yale she edited the Law Review.
Both of her parents are from Puerto Rico. She was raised in the Bronx in a difficult neighborhood, having to overcome significant obstacles to pursuing her dream of a career in law.
Some sources, including Pete Williams, reported that the Judge is a Catholic. However, there has not yet been any indication of whether that report is accurate and, if so, if she actually practices her faith.
She was appointed to the Federal District Court by the first President Bush and later elevated to the appeals court by former President Clinton.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- E.W. Jackson Wins Nomination as Republican Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia
- 'Planned Parenthood has been far more lethal to black lives than the KKK ever was!' Virginia GOP nominee says
- Food stamps hang in the balance as lawmakers debate cost
- News to ruin your morning: IRS official who targeted conservatives for audit now oversees your Obamacare compliance
- Culture of Corruption, Obama pays Sarah Ingram extra for her harassment of conservatives
- Culture of Corruption: Why Obama's misuse of Marines is wrong
- Rubio: Obama's intimidation of tea party groups 'not in isolation'
- Editorial: Is the Scandal Ridden Obama Administration Becoming a House of Cards?
- Obama asks for more money, Marines to protect embassies
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?