Swine Flu: All Catholic Masses Cancelled in Mexico City
Cardinal publishes a prayer to Our Lady of Guadalupe:'quickly overcome this epidemic that has come to affect our nation.'
Cardinal Norberto Rivera, the archbishop of Mexico City, asked that priests suspend all Masses without exception Sunday. The move is without precedent in the city and surrounding municipalities, which has a total population exceeding 22 million.
On Saturday, the nation's Ministry of Health announced school closings in three Mexican states until May 6, and that museums, libraries, movie theaters, restaurants and places of worship in the mountain capital would be closed until further notice.
In a statement published later in the evening, Cardinal Norberto Rivera, the archbishop of Mexico City, asked that priests suspend all Masses without exception Sunday. The move is without precedent in the city and surrounding municipalities, which has a total population exceeding 22 million.
The cardinal also published a prayer directed to Our Lady of Guadalupe that asks for her intercession to "quickly overcome this epidemic that has come to affect our nation."
"Cover us with your cloak," the prayer pleads, "free us from this illness."
Mexico City is the epicenter of a global swine flu outbreak, which is suspected to have caused some 86 deaths since mid April. Some 1,400 people have affected by the virus.
Several cases have been confirmed in the United States, Canada, and New Zealand, but no deaths have been reported.
Travel in and out of Mexico has not been restricted, but several governments have taken precautions such as screening travelers for flu-like symptoms.
The World Health Organization has declared the outbreak a "public health emergency of international concern."
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Americas News
- Is the 'human cost' in the war on drugs too high?
- High-tech Indiana Jones team discovers the fabled lost city of Ciudad Blanca
- Has the lost 'White City of gold' been found at last?
- Why did the world's laziest workers destroy a treasured Mayan pyramid?
- Scientists discover 'Brazilian Atlantis' off Rio coast
- Would emergency parachutes in high-rise buildings stave off another 9/11 disaster?
- Obama: Guantanamo 'is not in the best interest of the American people'
- Mexicans view U.S., Obama more favorably, 20 percent would immigrate illegally
- Declared the antichrist, three-day-old baby burned to death by Chilean cult leader
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?