New Bishop of Linz Austria Chosen, Surprises of the Spirit
What the BBC does not seem to understand is that orthodoxy and orthopraxy are not some throwback to the past but signal instead a work of the Holy Spirit within the Church.
The ever feisty but often accurate Web Blog, entitled “Catholic Church Conservation” (see http://cathcon.blogspot.com/) has been following the blatant liturgical abuses and sometimes overt but under the radar acts of infidelity in this Diocese for a very long time. It has done so with a dry sense of humor and courageous clarity of insight.
They now report that the long awaited new Bishop of the Diocese has been announced. The new Bishop was not on the short list of most and, well, things will soon be changing for the faithful in Linz who long to be fully Catholic:
“The extremely conservative current parish priest of Windischgarsten, Maria Gerhard Wagner, is new Bishop of the Diocese of Linz.
“The news leaked from Vienna church sources to the Upper Austrian News will be officially announced in the next few days. Many engaged Catholics of the Diocese of Linz will perceive this as a provocation. The diocese could have a test of endurance.
“According to unconfirmed information, no candidate was considered appearing on the proposed list of Linz Diocesan Bishop Ludwig Schwarz. Allegedly, Rome has directly taken the decision. Even the Vienna Archbishop Cardinal Christoph Schoenborn was not directly involved in the decision-making.
“Vicar General Severin Lederhilger could feel deep disappointment at this decision. The Vicar-General was considered one of the favorites and was also next to the former Chaplain of the Seminary of Linz, Johann Hintermaier on the Bishop’s three name candidate list.
“The future bishop is so far noted mainly for controversial statements and absolute fidelity to Rome.”
The BBC is now reporting this story. They are trying to connect the lifting of the excommunications of the Bishops of the SSPX and the horrid comments of one of their numbers as it related to the holocaust, with this new appointment.
The SSPX Bishop Williamson was silenced by his superiors and publicly apologized. The Holy See strongly rebuked the evil comment and then reaffirmed its unbroken support and affection for the Jewish people. And, most importantly, the soon to be new Bishop of Lintz has no connection to the SSPX.
However, these facts do not seem to matter to the BBC.
The plan is apparently to lump all “ultraconservative” (read faithful to the Magisterium) appointments by the Holy Father in the future to this seriously disappointing turn of events in the SSPX reconciliation process. The long term goal seems to be to paint Pope Benedict XVI as some kind of reactionary who is opposed to “progress” in the Church.
At the end of the BBC report, the newspaper made this remark: “Austrian Catholics gave only a lukewarm welcome to the Pope when he visited Vienna in 2007.”
What the BBC does not seem to understand is that orthodoxy and orthopraxy are not some throwback to the past but signal instead a work of the Holy Spirit within the Church and for the world. The future of true progress passes through a dynamically revived Catholic faith, life and worship in Europe and around the rest of the world.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Europe News
- Priest Tells of Being Whipped by the Devil in the Land of Missions
- Pope Francis Calls Italian Bishops to a Renewed Pastoral Vision
- Evil Face of Jihad in London Suburb: Muslim Attackers Hack a Young Soldier to Death and Behead Him
- British soldier hacked to death in brazen attack by Islamic terrorists, stopped by prayerful, courageous women
- Pope Francis: To Evangelize, We Must Be Open to the Action of the Spirit of God
- Pentecostal Pope Calls Ecclesial Movements and the Whole Church to Newness, Unity and Mission
- Historic Meeting between Pope Francis and Coptic Patriarch, Tawadros II, Fosters Christian Unity
- Pope Francis Shakes up the Ambassadors Meeting and Addresses Economic Issues
- AU CONTRAIRE! Economic crisis has been 'pulling European public opinion apart'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?