Niece of Martin Luther King Jr. to Lead Denver Pro-Life Vigil
"The fight against abortion is a new frontier in the Civil Rights Movement," states Dr. King.
The "Light in the Darkness" vigil, organized by the Denver Archdiocese's Respect Life office and the Office of Black Catholics, will begin at 7:30pm in Martin Luther King Park (E.38th St.), one block from the Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains abortion clinic, and will end with a candlelight procession all around the perimeter of the new clinic.
The event will bring together Christian leaders from many denominations, including Pastor Ralph Beechum of House of Joy Miracle Deliverance Church who will offer prepared remarks, as well as Pastor Patrick L. Demmer, Jr. of Graham Memorial Community Church of God in Christ and Pastor Willard Johnson of Macedonia Baptist Church in Park Hill.
Colorado's Catholic bishops have been instrumental in the fight against Planned Parenthood ever since it was revealed late last year that Planned Parenthood had purchased land in Denver under a false name and was planning to build America's largest abortion mill under a shroud of secrecy.
Upon learning of Planned Parenthood's plans the bishops prepared a letter informing "all Catholics and people of good will" to "defend themselves and their beliefs against Planned Parenthood by every legal and ethical means at their disposal."
"Planned Parenthood calls itself pro-child, pro-woman, and pro-family. Yet it is an organization based on falsehoods about the human person, the family and community life," wrote the three bishops in November 2007.
According to their 2005-2006 annual report, Planned Parenthood abortionists performed 289,750 abortions across the United States in 2006 alone, which represents a nearly 10% percent increase since 2005.
Reiterating the message she delivered on Parliament Hill at Canada's most recent annual March for Life, King stated firmly that the pro-life movement represents those most affected by today's most pressing violation of human rights.
"The fight against abortion is a new frontier in the Civil Rights Movement," states Dr. King. "We are not following Martin's dream if we do not stand up for the voiceless."
LifeSiteNews.com is a non-profit Internet service dedicated to issues of culture, life, and family. It was launched in September 1997. LifeSiteNews Daily News reports and information pages are used by numerous organizations and publications, educators, professionals and political, religious and life and family organization leaders and grassroots people across North America and internationally.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Increasing numbers of young people opposing Obamacare
- Vatican, State Department defend embassy move
- Precedent set by Obama may lead to revolt against federal government, expert says
- Oops, we didn't think of that! Utah may pull NSA plug by cutting water supply to facility
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?