Syria’s Grand Mufti invites Pope Benedict to Visit
"I would like to invite the Holy Father to visit our country, following in the footsteps of St. Paul.” "I am available for a meeting at the Vatican. I would like to see him one on one to plan the visit together."
Speaking from Damascus, Sheik Hassoun told the Italian news agency Apcom, "I would like to invite the Holy Father to visit our country, following in the footsteps of St. Paul.” "I am available for a meeting at the Vatican. I would like to see him one on one to plan the visit together."
Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi said the invitation shows a “serene climate” in Syria and “good relations” with the country.
Hassoun is part of the group of 138 Muslim scholars who have called for greater Christian-Muslim dialogue.
"There is a dialogue, and between religions and intellectuals there are always discussions," he has said, according to Apcom. "One can fight with one's wife, but then the love grows."
In September Pope Benedict met with Syria’s vice president to discuss the situation of Christians in Syria and the role of Damascus in bringing peace to the Middle East. The Pope has urged Syria to influence the region to resolve conflicts and counter terrorism, the Associated Press says.
The Pope’s predecessor John Paul II made what was considered a groundbreaking visit to the Ummayad Mosque in Damascus in May 2001.
- - -
Founded in continued response to Pope John Paul II’s call for a “New Evangelization,” the Catholic News Agency (CNA) has been, since 2004, one of the fastest growing Catholic news providers to the English speaking world.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Middle East News
- The Truth About Syria: Persecution of Syrian Christians Cries Out For Prayer and Action
- Kids learn murder at summer camp in Gaza
- How one man started a movement by standing still
- Syria accused in 'ethnic cleansing' of Sunni Muslims
- Obama to arm Syrian rebels after Assad chemical weapons use confirmed
- Syrian death toll of 92,901 feared to be conservative estimate
- 15-year-old Syrian boy gunned down by Islamist terriorists for heretical comment
- Iconic image of pepper sprayed woman becomes icon of resistance, feminism
- Oops? Obama administration publishes details of secret Israeli military base
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?